PDA

View Full Version : Volkwagens

Dave98
04-09-2004, 07:29 PM
I have taken on a project to help rebuild a 1971 VW bug. I am going to add more power......(Tim Allen grunts.....)

Any advice on engine size. I understand some engines, due to size are better for cooling and power production than others.

Help!

Thanks,

Dave :convertib

Brad Lyon
04-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Does J.C. Whitney still offer the Chevrolet V8 to Volkswagon transmission adapter?

Brad

mikev
04-10-2004, 11:21 AM
go with the 1835 big bore kit very reliable i have heard anything over that and it gets iffy I had a friend back in high school that built one he had allot of fun beating mustangs and z28's with it

gcarter
04-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I'd say iffy!
When you consider the original VW was designed as a 750 cc engine in about 1936, it's amazing it was ever pushed as far as it was! I don't think the architecture was ever enlarged after the original.
Good luck! :smile:

George

MOP
04-10-2004, 04:34 PM
I had one with a Corvair with 4 carbs and headers, requires a little tin work to fit and 200lbs of weight up front but will but will kick major butt on some pretty heavy iron. There is some nice stuff out there for suspension, axle limiter straps are a must. They like to tuck the inside rear wheel under in high speed turns, I dropped mine 2-1/2 inches front & back added heavier sway bars front and rear. That and good rubber really makes them handle with the best of them. It got quite a bit faster after I tore the body of and went to the glass buggy body and then a tad over 300lbs up front.

Phil