PDA

View Full Version : G.p.s...advice Wanted

fasttrucker
04-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Going to order a handheld gps..iFINDER atlantis seems to be the best one?..$199. from consumersmarine.com this unit has display size of 2.2x2.6 also has 16MB and is water resist.1 yr warranty.This model has a 16MB-MMC card pre-loaded with marine mapping detail. Its not color, but they seem to be a lot of $$$.Anyway they have a mounting bracket $35.00,12v cig. Power Adapter $23.00.Red face cover,to match my boat $16.00.also an Instructional Video $19.95.It might be a lot of fun to use this in my truck so maybe I should buy it.If anyone has other thoughts they like to share about gps please respond,thanks.

RedDog
04-10-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm not familar with that brand. But this fixed mount GPS/depth finder looks like a nice unit for a near shore performance boat.

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/M68CSMap.asp

I was about to buy it but finally convinced myself it was over kill for my primarily lake action - at least for now.

Although it seems I'm going to be spending as much time / money just getting my little digital dash depth guage working
:bonk:

RickR
04-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Looks like a good unit. Buttons on the front are a plus.
Lowrance makes a great depthfinder.

I've had a lot of problems with Garmin.

RedDog
04-11-2004, 08:40 PM
So the iFinder is a Lowrance - top name. The removalabe MMC/SD card is a big plus too. Probably much better than the Garmin eTrex Legend that I have at about the same price (although when I bought mine the Garmin was $50 more).

"The iFINDER from Lowrance is a precise, powerful handheld mapping unit with GPS/WAAS performance, featuring memory card recording and playback versatility. As impressive as this is, Lowrance has made the iFINDER easy to use and enjoy. Physically the series of iFINDER units all utilize a 12-parallel channel GPS/WAAS receiver for accurate positioning on a high-definition 160x120 Film SuperTwist display. The iFINDER Express includes a 32MB MMC card preloaded with a searchable database of thousands of Point-of-Interest covering restaurants, hotels, marinas, emergency services, and more in the continental U.S. and Hawaii. They all have an internal slot for one MMC or SD memory card (card not included with base model iFINDER) to record/playback GPS trip details, and to load/display optional Mapcreate detailed mapping. All can store 100 routes, 1000 waypoints and 10 savable plot trails up to 10,000 points per trail. All the units will operate up to 12 hours on two AA batteries (not included) and ship with a waterproof see-through pouch."

gcarter
04-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Gosh, there are so many today!
My suggestion would be to shop, shop, & shop some more!
Figure out what your priorities are, there's a lot of features that aren't so useful.
Then when you've figured it out, check out eBay for your actual purchase. There must be about 10,000 of them in several catagories.
You can even find GPS cards for PDA's and laptops.

George

fasttrucker
04-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Reddog that Lowrance m68c is $399 for color or $299 for b+w.Not bad.I have a digatal depth sounder on the dash so I was just looking at gps.

roadking
04-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Last year, I bought a Magellan, Meridan Color from www.vanns.com. The unit works great and is pretty easy to see in sunlight.

obrien
04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
yeah i have also heard that Magellen are pretty good