PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners with small children...

CnV & Family
04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
For those of you that have small children...

In regards to their saftey, how did you choose the size and model of your Donzi? What was it about the boat itself or its options that caused you to choose it?

Just trying to pull some ideas for future reference and all are appreciated...

Thanks,
CnV & Family

fasttrucker
04-09-2004, 09:10 AM
We wanted a cabin as the wife+kids like those things..Was going to buy a 26zx.Then my wife wanted a bigger boat, so I got a bigger boat to make her happy.A 28zx.They handle ruffer water better...so bigger is safer.Plus the porta-potty is great plus. :rlol:

mattyboy
04-09-2004, 09:16 AM
any model Donzi with thru hull so you can't hear them whining!!! ;) :tongue: LOL
I have a 12 yr old and a 16yr old they were 8 and 12( so they could hang on and enjoy the ride)when I got the 16, I love my 16 but it does have some issues with storage and ride in bigger water. I f your children are younger you might want a boat that has more freeboard and a cabin to get out of the sun or take a nap.
There will be plenty of room in the 16 once these creatures go to college :) ;)
Don't get me wrong I love my kids, I 'd love em more if they were in College ;)

Matty

Walt. H.
04-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Hey Matty, Long time Between Hello's, :wavey:

"Love them in college?"

Except when they call home for more $$ :splat:

Walt :wavey:

mikev
04-09-2004, 01:08 PM
When I was looking for a 19-20' bowrider for the lake the reason I chose my regazza (besides the fact its a Donzi) is the high freeboard and deep v compared to all the other bowriders i looked at. it was between it and a 19 SeaRay the SeaRay had a 350 mag so it was faster than mine with th 4.3 but the regazza handled the rough water alot better. I cannot wait to see what mine will run with a 350 in it it runs 50 with the 4.3.

boldts
04-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, I'd like to believe we bought the 22 because of the safty aspect for our daughter Allison. We had a 18 Classic at the time and when you climb into a 22, it feels like you've stepped into a 40' boat. Funny thing is, Allison after the ride in the 22 loved the greater speed, but actually liked the 18 better because of the wind in her face in that boat. In the 22, she is down behind the windshield and doesn't get the wind as much.

Truth is, we saw, we had to have! :smile:

Dave98
04-09-2004, 07:10 PM
CnV & Family, My wife wanted a pontoon!! I wanted a go fast boat of course. We compromised on a DONZI 235 SportDeck. It is was, at the time, the best of both worlds. She had lots of space and a stable ride for our small kids. I got the best performing deck boat on the lake and the DONZI mystique. Very cool. Kind of like a Corvette stationwagon.

Now our kids are grown up and I am searching for the next ride!

Have fun,

Dave

Murphy
04-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I maintain that Classic Donzis are not family boats. The cockpit area is simply inadequate for the needs of a family unless your average use is sight seeing trips of under an hour. We got our 22C when the kids were 7 and 8. It immediately became apparent they wouldn't be happy for long unless I did something to make it easier for them to swim and ski. To that end, we had a custom swim platform built. This single addition has transformed the 22C from a sardine can to a usable family boat. Keep in mind as well, kids usually aren't happy unless they have a friend along. Even in a 22C, 2 adults and 3 kids is the limit. If water toys other than skis are involved, forget it. As far as safety, the 22C does have more freeboard than the 18 and 16 but that doesn't make it safer in my opinion. Even a toddler could climb from the backseat to the back deck and be overboard in a matter of seconds. One key determining factor is your wife's risk tolerance. If she's uncomfortable at 20 mph on the water you can imagine what happens at 50, 60 or 70. I guarantee you the kids will be having a blast, but if Momma ain't happy, nobody happy. Otherwise, safety is a matter of judgement. You can be perfectly safe in a 16 or knocking on death's door in a 38 depending on who's at the wheel. Bottom line in my opinion, if you want a safe and family friendly Donzi it will probably need to be a Z Series of 26' or more.

Murph

Air 22
04-10-2004, 08:19 AM
The 22 Classic works just fine as a family boat. Its all one's opinion... My two girls 5 & 6 just love it. :yes: My wife drives it in poker runs..kids love to steer...a great boat for day use. I've been around boats 30+ years and a tour in the US Coast Guard and have to say the 22 Classic is a safe boat. The conditions you boat in and operator experience are the safety issues. We use our 22 Classic on lakes near our house and on the Ocean on Atlantic Beach/ Cape Lookout North Carolina. My kids love to tube behind the 22 and beach her for swimming etc. Its all preferences....ie..Chevy vs. Ford.
We love our 22 and wouldn't trade it for anything. :p :beer:

Riley
04-10-2004, 08:56 AM
In regards to safety, any boat can be either safe or unsafe, depending upon the operator. I think the better question might be the practicality of a Donzi for use with young children.

I used to tell my friends that owning my 18' Classic was kind of like owning a Z-28 or Mustang GT. Yes, it has a back seat, but you really would rather avoid hauling a bunch of people or gear around. There just isn't very much room in these boats, especially if you want to take along a couple of kids, water toys, coolers, etc. The 22 might be a different story, but the 16 and 18 are just too small for a family to use as an all-purpose boat......but man, are they a lot of fun for the driver and a passenger!

Another consideration with children is the ability to easily get in and out of the boat. As has been stated previously, the lack of a swim ladder or a boarding platform on the Classics can make getting in and out of the water a challenge.

Murphy
04-10-2004, 02:04 PM
High performance boats like Donzis have the ability to get radical even in the hands of an experienced driver. A buddy of mine and I were having some fun jumping wakes in the 22. Nothing dramatic, just some real mild small stuff. Finally I reached back to get a cold one from the cooler I'd left on the back seat. GONE! That 60lb cooler and all contents had flipped right out of the seat without making a sound. We found it floating about 100 yds. to stern. That incident gave me a much greater appreciation for the passenger experience, even in a small block 22.

Murph

Air 22
04-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Grab rails help...will post pic's... i'm installing soon. As for coolers...60lbs or not they don't have hands :idea: 2nd i wouldn't be wake jumping w/ family in back no matter how much they weigh....watch out popping a cold one in the boat local police or USCG BUI has the same results as DUI... :beer:
We all have choices :) ...so one boat might work well for some... and not for others :frown: The end result should be the same...Safe fun on the water... :smile:

The Driver/Skipper no matter what the boat has the Ultimate Responsibility for his/her passengers...Period :yes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-10-2004, 07:54 PM
In the 22ZX my then son of age 6 really had nothing to hold on while riding in the back (as we got tossed around).
In the 26ZX, he is now almost 10, in the real rough water he stands in front bolster in front of mom holding the grab rail on the dash just ahead of him.
None of this was a factor in buying the 22, it was a Donzi, rode it, wanted it, bought it!
The disease started there for these great boats.

More on safety, WE WEAR Lifeline jackets everytime out, glass or rough, just ask Digger or Roadtrip. Safety first as a family!
Never boat at night, we don't see the point in the risk.
Bryan

CnV & Family
04-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Great thoughts everyone...

Matty... yes. The next boat will have thru-hulls!

Specifically to Air22, yes... I know the driver is responsible for everyone in the boat + all surroundings... That was the heart of this thread. And in being responsible, it's also on me to make sure we look into the most appropriate vessel. But as has well been pointed out... Gotta have a Donzi... :D

We simply can't afford the larger boats, but if I had a choice it would most likely be the ZXO. Realistically, we'll probably take our time and search out a 22C later on. I just don't think I can part with the design of a classic after owning one.

Since we have a 1yr old, the 16 no longer conforms to our needs. The freeboard was my wife's main concern... The little one loves wind in her face, but we have never taken her out on the 16. I too feel it's too small (Not to mention lack of time!!!). The other reason is finding a lifejacket that would fit correctly. I know and thank Bryan and others for the lifejacket threads.

Thanks Again!
-CnV & Family

fasttrucker
04-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Bryan,Never boat at night?...I love night boating.One time night fishing out of pompano inlet,fla,We were stopped by that coast guard/blue thunder customs boat.The spot lights came on as we were going right next to them.Then once they made us go to shore ran our I.D.s....I guess the bails where a floatin that night! :fire:

Last Tango
04-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I would prefer a Z22 bowrider for family fun. That being said, I have a C18. More freeboard seems like a HINDRANCE not a help when you are looking at folks getting in and out of a boat. C18 is hard. C22 is impossible. If you are wanting to pull toys and let the kids (or adults) get in and out, the C-Class is not the best choice. Look at the Z22 or some of the Medallion Series boats for family. CAN you use the C-Series for family fun? Sure. It involve compromises and trade-offs. Sort of like using your motorcycle as a grocery-getter.

Air 22
04-13-2004, 09:21 PM
This looks pretty nice..... :yes: and w/ 700 ponies goes pretty well too.... :eek: