PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out the steering- IMCO dual ram problem..

JimG
04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
The T-Bred I just bought has a steering issue. Its equipped with an IMCO dual ram steering system, hydraulic to the helm. I'm getting no power assist at all. Feels the same, running or not. I called Dino at Teague and Ron at IMCO, and though they were helpful (I already drilled the orifice, cleaned the filter), were stumped... This morning I replaced the power steering pump, and still no assist. There's no air in the system, Ron told me how to detect this. I checked the hoses against the schematic, and it seems to be plumbed right. The previous owner just got used to it, but both Dino and Ron told me the steering should be "one-finger easy". It's DEFINITELY not. More like TWO -FISTED! Makes docking difficult to say the least! Any ideas? Something I've missed?

smoothie
04-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Jim,some way you need to check to see if you are getting pump pressure, on my system I have a clear plastic reservoir tank and can see the fluid running thru the system when the motor is running,may have to start opening and closing the fittings all thru the loop to see where the plug is,I know this could be messy but what else to do,Just curious how did you check for air in the system?

MOP
04-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Could be a helm problem possibly one of the vavles. Not sure of the type of lines used could one have gotten pinched?

Phil

JimG
04-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys! It just needed some wheel time, then it freed itself up. I guess it just had to purge itself. Feels great now, not exactly fingertip easy, but those rams back there are pretty beefy. So, now I'll just drive the darn thing!

smoothie
04-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Jim,mine is one finger,my 5 yr old can steer it,sounds like something is still going on with it,its a closed loop system so I dont know how it could purge itself I would make sure the fluid level is correct and for that matter,change it to make sure you have the right fluid and all the air out,you can tell if you have air,the pump will be noisey.

JimG
04-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Fluid level is correct, pump has new fluid, filter has been changed. Air purged into reservoir, (I know because it puked a little...) I am open to any suggestions...

smoothie
04-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Get all the air out and enjoy!

MOP
04-12-2004, 09:53 AM
If it is hard in both directions I think you have a feed line or helm issue, I would check pressure in and out of the helm. The only other slight possibility is the cross over line between the rams being kinked. These setups are normaly very smooth and easy.

Phil

Dredgeking
04-12-2004, 12:40 PM
the steering was definitely silky smooth. much better than my fountain. almost too quick if you weren't used to it.

john may have bought it from dino at teague. we both buy a lot of our stuff from him.

wouldn't hurt to give john a quick call and see if he knows of something.

JimG
04-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi DredgeKing! John said it was stiff, just get used to it. I spoke at length to Dino at Teague and Ron at IMCO. Both said it should be one-finger. It's not really bad, maybe I'm just accustomed to the Donzi which is really light. The Thoroughbred is not bad now, just different. Ron and Dino both told me how to check for air, and I've determined that there is none in the system. Good flow from the pump to the helm (ask me how I know...).

MOP
04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Not going to ask how, isn't cleaning up Fun!

JimG
04-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys! I put a few more hours on her this weekend, and it's still stiffer than I'd like. It doesn't seem to get better with engine revs. At speed, it feels pretty good, but it's getting a push from the prop.

So far I've:
Replaced the power steering pump
Cleaned the filter
Drilled the orifice
Cracked the hyd lines
Called Ron at IMCO and Dino at Teague, no help

I haven't tried the smaller pulley because it doesn't get better with revs.

Any ideas?

Team Jefe
04-20-2004, 06:58 AM
I think you should sell the damned thing.....I'll give you 5 grand Cash right now.....
...OK Saturday :idea: ,

5 large, man, I'd jump on that if I were you :yes: .

Fine, fine, be that way...at least let me take a ride......I'm going nuts in this No-boat running freezer.

JimG
05-18-2004, 07:59 AM
I finally found the culprit! I removed the filter from the inline housing, and suddenly I have power assist! I had cleaned the 40 micron bronze filter element, but I guess it was just too clogged up to flow good. I'm ordering two replacement elements today... Thanks for all the help!!

JimG

sizeplay
05-18-2004, 08:45 AM
I am not familiar with power assist but I have run a complete to the helm Latham dual ram hydralic steering and I believe it is supposed to be fairly stiff. Takes a little getting used to but gives you the confidence to run hard and not worry about your drive moving around and such at speed.

Jim

JimG
05-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks! According to IMCO and Teague, the power assisted dual ram system like I have should be "one-finger" easy at low speed when properly set-up. The rams should keep the drive rock-steady at speed.

Jim

smoothie
05-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Im glad you finally figured it out,,,your going to like the one finger cruise!!!

JimG
05-21-2004, 10:06 PM
OOPS! Still have the problem! Ran the boat today, with and without new filter. Results the same...

Here's the symptoms:

Start the boat.
Turn the wheel lock to lock, very nice and free, no vibration, a 1 on a 10 scale in effort.
Second lock to lock, a little vibration, getting harder, 3 on a ten scale.
Third and subsequent turns lock to lock, very hard, 8 or 9 on a ten scale.
Kill the engine. Let it sit for a minute.
Same as above, at first it turns easy, then gets very hard.

When I looked into the reservoir as my buddy turned the wheel: first turn, I saw lots of fluid moving and the level dropped about an eighth of an inch then came back up. Next turns, NOTHING! Looked like a pool in there, no movement. Weird!

Somehow it's building pressure, but not releasing. When I kill the motor, and sit for a while it releases the pressure.

Any ideas??

MOP
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I still think you need to check the helm for a sticky valve, I have seen small flecks of various junk screw them up. Very rarely are they damaged just need cleaning.

Phil

smoothie
05-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Jim,its got to be something simple and normally is....give the experts a call at http://www.char-lynn.com/contactus.html

JimG
05-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Smoothie! I called and they don't really have a tech support group. They sent me to a bearing shop in Austin. The guys at the bearing shop were pretty helpful, though.

Last nite I drained the system and checked the return circuit, including the cooler. It's completely free. Re-filled the system, started it up, and SAME THING!! First revolution is niiiice! From there it gets harder and harder until frickin' Popeye would be grunting!
:lookaroun
Anyone out there know hydraulic systems and helms?

JimG

JimG
05-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I still think you need to check the helm for a sticky valve, I have seen small flecks of various junk screw them up. Very rarely are they damaged just need cleaning.

MOP, are these things easy to take apart? SKEERED!! :bonk: