PDA

View Full Version : GLM Aluminum Assessment

Rootsy
04-08-2004, 11:51 PM
I received my GLM Aluminum exhaust manifolds from dennis moore today (thanks Dennis). The following is an initial visual assessment from an engineers standpoint. With any luck we'll have quantitative numbers from a performance standpoint later in the year.... as i stated previously i am looking for donors for other manifold systems to test...

1st assessment.. DAMN this box is light where is the OTHER manifold.. oh weight there are 2 in here... 31.50 lbs total shipping weight from fedex ground... I LIKE THIS :)

2nd assessment... visually very nice from the outside.. a bit of porosity here and there but as long as there are no leaks externally or internally.. no biggie... a lot of new plugs vs stock merc that is for sure all plugged in brass except for one... and what is this extra straight thread tapped hole into the exhaust port??? So Dennis what is this hole for? it is roughly a 3/4 straight thread of well i donno what pitch yet... O2 sensors are 18 mm x 1.5 thread...

Internal assessment... significant runner seperation when compared to other aftermarket exhaust manifolds. I've seen GLM, Stock Merc, GIL, SM and IMCO... this has by far the most runner seperation EXCEPT for the GIL's which is the most individualized runner manifold i have seen. Runner inlet dimensions are 1.45 high x 1.4 wide (average of 4)... the exhaust manifold to riser opening is 2.0 wide x 2.5 long which yields 5 sq inches... compared to other true round aftermarkets which average 2.75 - 3 inch round diameter or 5.9 - 7.1 sq inches... Runners are quite rough with some flash just in from the exhaust port entrances. With a lost foam process this should not be a real issue to control... but easily cleaned up with a die grinder and sanding roll... no biggie... there appears to be some form of core shift in a fwe of the runners though... this kind of threw me since a lost foam and lost wax precess doesnt generally suffer from this... still.. easily cleaned up... otherwise everything looks pretty tidy inside.

Overall impression - for 119.95 each.. a good deal when compared to other aftermarket manifolds... 139.95 for powdercoated manifolds.. still a good deal... Risers are extra and IMCO M-72 risers can be purchased for about 650 new.

From an engineering standpoint it would make sense to modify this manifold possibly for use with other aftermarket exhaust riers such as the IMCO Powerflow. By removing the side water passages and routing to the front and rear a elliptical to round opening could be configured to match the IMCO or similar risers. Passing the water through the front side of the manifolds instead of the side would accomplish adequate cooling. Further, if the manifold was a dry seal there are plenty of water passages plugged to allow for water routing from manifold to riser via transfer hose. with todays CAD, CAM and Casting processes this is entirely feasible while retaining low cost...

Attached are photos of the GLM SBC Aluminum exhaust manifold... more photos when i can ACTUALLY get them to attach properly... but this should give you a meat and potatos of the internals... the important parts ;)

Enjoy

JR

Greg K
04-09-2004, 12:08 AM
If they can add performance to a Bayliner...just imagine what they'll do for your Donzi. :yes:
http://www.glmmarine.com/manifold/images/test_results_flier.gif

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 07:26 AM
I keep saying it but no one will do it...

SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!!!! the DYNO numbers that is!

JR

MOP
04-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Jamie they look real good, maybe I should drop the idea of the other after markets. My only concern here in salt would be to change out the brass fitting for stainless. Brass and aluminum are not good in salt, Years back on my G3 my trim leaked down, I ruined a two year old gear case in about 3 weeks while I was away using a bronze prop.

Phil

Walt. H.
04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey James,

Very Cool!

I believe your saying what I said last week only with more technical wording and data.

This was my discription on it for all to easily understand.pieced together from 3 privious post's.

Well guy's I ordered a set of Aluminum exh manifolds on Monday morning this past week and they just arrived a half hour ago today.(Sat) 5-days from Cal. to NY, via Fed Ex, You can't beat that for fast regular mailing. :checkered

O' yeah they are better than I expected in fact they look just great inside & out and 1/3rd the weight of iron yippie :checkered . I ordered them unfinished expecting to grind and polish but I think they look just find as is, just like an Edelbrock intake manifold right out of the box new.

And WOW! a'm I impressed with those individual runners!
they don't weigh any more then a 12-pack of bottled beer each without the riser's. :yippie: :checkered
If your engine is stock to mildly modified I think the GLM exh set up is the best "Bang for the Buck" you could ever make. Everything else is just status and looks unless you have a radical fire breathing monster then by all means spend for the $1500.00 to the multi thousand dollar jobs.

I'm glad your pleased with them too, like I said "Best bang for the buck $$. :beer:

:wavey:

Walt

Unless your building this

gcarter
04-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Jamie they look real good, maybe I should drop the idea of the other after markets. My only concern here in salt would be to change out the brass fitting for stainless. Brass and aluminum are not good in salt, Years back on my G3 my trim leaked down, I ruined a two year old gear case in about 3 weeks while I was away using a bronze prop.

Phil
Phil, I know ir's a habit to say "brass", but I'm sure you meant to say "bronze" in relation to salt water because "brass" dezincafies in salt water and you end up with a "copper lookeng sponge". It's really important to remember this when plumbing up salt water. Actually it's a good way to sink any boat you want to collect insurance on! :smile:

George...watching out for everybody!

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 01:31 PM
actually george.. those ARE BRASS pipe plugs... yes i know the difference intimately... definitely NOT bronze... but i'm in fresh water... :)

gcarter
04-09-2004, 01:53 PM
actually george.. those ARE BRASS pipe plugs... yes i know the difference intimately... definitely NOT bronze... but i'm in fresh water... :)
Yeah Jamie, I know the're brass... It's a pet peeve of mine. I want to go on a campaign about brass in water passages.
BTW, it's obvious who's off work today! :yes:

GEORGE

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Oh no.. i'm at work.. it's just F-off friday :D

Dennis Moore
04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Rootsy
The extra hole was installed by Mercruiser (and we copied it) for the carbureted Vortec engines. They do not have a heat crossover passage in the cylinder heads/intake manifold. A pipe is run from the exhaust manifold to the (carbureted) intake manifold for carburetor heat. Many automotive/truck engines also have this pipe (coming from the exhaust manifold) to plump exhaust gases to the EGR valve.
Sounds as if you like the manifolds, thanks again for your order.
Dennis Moore

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 10:27 PM
well from insertion of a few taps and a pitch gauge these are 1/2 NPT threads... 14 threads per inch... the taper is very slight but it exists according to the calipers...

i have a feeling that it'll be a straight thread inserted for an M18 x 1.5 and counterbored so an O2 sensor can be run properly :D... (the O2 sensor MUST be placed in the exhaust stream). currently the distance from top to runner is 1.5 inches which is too deep to get an O2 sensor into the exhaust stream.

anywho.. figured i'd let everyone who orders these know this bit of info so they can plug em and such...

JR.

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Mad dog...

after AOTH... when things slow down around here... maybe before St. Clair... but i AM serious about doing this... i guarantee the safety of all temporary donations ;) and nice neat graphs and charts for toona to drool over with starry eyes late into the wee hours of the georgia mornings :D

smoothie
04-10-2004, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=MadPoodle]Hmm, planning the Suwanee run in the 18. Let me see if I cant scarf another set up for ya... or for me to run. I assume you want the stock SSM stainless risers, not my frankenstein ones??

Now thats what I call a riser,nice!

Riley
04-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Jamie, can the GLM manifolds be used with stock Mercruiser risers and elbows, or do they make aluminum risers and elbows specifically for those manifolds?

Also, let me know when you plan on doing your dyno tests. I'd love to drive down and give you a hand, and check out your results first hand.

Rootsy
04-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Chris,

GLM offers aluminum risers matching these manifolds.. you can buy a whole package... you can get it all in steel also...

stock merc risers should bolt to the GLM's without issue since they are direct copies of merc parts except for the internal runner layout...

JR - a testing we shall go...