PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Outdrive Thoughts???

Boat_Mon
04-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, what do you guys think of the Volvo Outdrives?? I'm thinking like the Cobra SX Penta outdrive and The DuoProp?? How much horsepower can they withstand? are there any inherant problems that anyone is aware of?? I now own a Volvo Penta Cobra SX and I'm wondering if I should be doing a preventative maintenance above and beyond the standard or if there are signs of any problems I should be be looking for specific to that type of drive??

any help???

MOP
04-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I am very biased toward Volvo having worked on them for many years. They have top quality aluminum and machine work, they have proven them selves to be the best there is for over 30 years. In the pleasure craft marine field they were the founders of the cone shift and duo prop drive. I can remember when I tested the first ones we got for sale, at speed with cable steering you could leave the helm unattended. You will loose a tiny bit of top end compared to exact power and weight boat, we were Grady dealers and did heads up runs. The benefits out weigh that loose.

Phil

PS Do It!

Boat_Mon
04-08-2004, 09:32 PM
they have proven them selves to be the best there is for over 30 years.

I've heard that often from several people, but hey, you know how the grapevine is. I'm sticking with synthetics for the gears as recommended, hopefully it will have a long life, Thanks.