PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs

Budman
04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Are trim tabs worth getting on a 18 Classic? I have a 16 Classic now and may upgrade to an 18 or 22 Classic. I think on a 22 Classic they would be a necessity, but am not sure about the 18.
thanks for your input,
Budman

Last Tango
04-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Budman,
I have trim tabs (Bennett - stock type, single ram, original factory option) on my 2001 18C. I have used them very little since I bought the boat new. Unless you have a bad weight bias on the passenger load, I don't know what else to use them for. They are slow and the switches inconveniently located when you really want them (to stop chine walk at WOT? How much time do you spend there? And you can use throttle or drive angle trim to control that). For example, when I experience chine walk, I want to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the water ahead, but to use the trim tabs you have to take your eyes off the road to locate the controls, mentally decide left or right, up or down, and you need to keep a hand on the rocker switches while you figure it out. In the meantime the boat is jacking progressively back and forth. Easier to simply pull back a notch on the throttle and reset. 18's don't seem to have any good dash space where you could put a trim tab position meter within view of the driver. So other than by-guess and by-gosh you really have no way of learning how to keep track of them.
They look nice and racy. They DO work when you use them. And they are great for offsetting passenger loads that cause the boat to lean port or starboard. They are only useful at speed. I have never used them for a hole shot because your right hand cannot be in two places at the same time. Other than that? Without the gauge you have no way of fine tuning the tabs in a manner that is useful and repeatable. Trim tabs on my Z3250 were VERY useful, and with the gauge I could trim with repeatable results. But I still never used them for hole shots or anything other than load compensation. In rough water, when you fly the hull from time to time, you can get "launched" into an angular landing since the last thing leaving the last water surface is the trim tab that is down.
But, like I said, they LOOK cool on the trailer, and they seem to be a desirable option at resale time.

Budman
04-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Mark: thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same as you regarding the trim tabs. I don't think I would use them much even though most of the 18 Classics seem to have them. I have a hard enough time watching all the gauges, achieving the proper trim, along with watching where I am going all at the same time.
thanks,
Dan

Last Tango
04-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah, they are like sunroofs on SUV's. How often does anyone EVER actually open the sunroof on an SUV. Millions of SUV's, lots with sunroofs, and only a handful actually used. And when they do, how long is is open? But they are considered a desirable option. Desirable only when you SELL, perhaps - not for actual regular use. Also kind of like buying a sexy teddy for your girlfriend. Once she puts it on, how long do you leave it on? But it is a desirable option! HAHAHA

Ranman
04-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I agree with mark on the tabs. My 97 18 Classic has Trimmasters and I never use them. I am much more comfortable controlling the attitude of the boat with the drive trim. Pull the trim up and out, she gets loose and loose is fast. If she's running loose and starts to get flighty or starts launching off the waves, I bring the drive back down and in and then she tightens right back up and settles down. To control chinewalk, I use a combination of driving technique, (ie. bump the wheel in the opposite direction of the hop or hold constant tension to the right) and trim angle. With a bit of practice, you can eliminate all chinewalking. Anyway, I have tabs, but knowing what I know, if I bought a new 18 without tham, I wouldn't rush to get a new set.

Now, Mark, for the sunroof, I use mine quite a bit (in the summer of course) so I guess I'm the exception. Also, I find that the teddy stays on a lot longer if it's of the crotchless variety. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Budman
04-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I never think about using the sunroof on my Mustang. It's easier to just roll down the window.

Budman
04-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Ranman: I learned the jerk the wheel to the left trick with a Hydrostream boat I had, which set the standard for chine walking. That boat would get really squirrely over 65mph. Use to make my ex-wife scream at me at high speeds.

Barry Phillips
04-09-2004, 10:37 AM
I asked the factory the same question when I purchased my 18 and the answer was no, because of the short length of the hull. After living with the boat for 6 years I would say yes. My 18 did not need them when lightly loaded and balanced. She never leaned at hi speed and chine walk was minimal at full trim. The prop would ventilate long before chine walking could become a problem. Add 2 more passengers and quartering wind and waves the boat will lean. Under these conditions trim tabs will come in handy. I also think the boat will be less inclined to drop off plain at slow speeds with the tabs fully down. My 18 ran in the mid 60s. If you plan to run higher speeds 70+, than tabs are essential.

Budman
04-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Assuming that the trim tabs were installed by Donzi, is there any drag created when they are not in use in the upward position? Just wondered if there is an impact on top end speed due to drag. Probably minimal.
thanks for your input,
Dan

Last Tango
04-09-2004, 04:16 PM
I just went outside to look at mine, again. Donzi mounted them about 3/4" above, and parallel to, the running bottom. They do not seem to "drag" when I'm running the boat. Many pictures of the stern of my boat at speed indicate that the most they do when running is keep the splash down at the stern. Mine are dead flat even when up. They are the exact same height above the bunks at the stern of the boat and at the trailing edge of the tab.
Now if you REALLY want to throw some wasted money at your new boat, get the short K-Planes.
If you decide to order the trim tabs, make Donzi install a double trim tab gauge on the dash where it can be easily read.
Two EXTREMELY worthwhile options for your 18 are the Engine Hour Meter, and the Depth Meter. Both have more than earned their keep. Another thing I added on was a Sea Strainer. That too has earned its keep. I also have an add-on Drive Shower. We have argued this one back and forth here, but it is cheap insurance.
A Teddy just gets in the way of my grip. Now, if she wants to leave her nylon stockings on, well, that's a different story.
Sunroof! 'Poodle opens the sunroof year 'round because he needs room for all that crazy hair. His avatar is actually a self-portrait. They don't call him MadPoodle for no reason!

Budman
04-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks again for your input. Hour meter and depthfinder would be well worth the expense. Preferred Power Marine in Ohio seems to have good prices on new Donzis. Has anybody heard of them before?