PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 strength?

1996Z15
04-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I keep reading how the Aplha 1 is not the strongest component in the drive set up on many of our Donzi's. Since that appears to be such common knowledge I am amazed that there doesn't seem to be anyone offering HD parts to help bolster the strenght of these units.
I know that, if I decide to keep my Minx, I will be looking to add HP and would be interested in building up the Alpha.

Cuda
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I believe there is a HD gear set available for them. I've "heard" of a lot more alpha failures than I have witnessed. I think they will hold up fine with even moderate power increase IF they are cooled and serviced properly. The Minx isn't a heavy boat. My marine mech told me he got 3000 hours from a BBC/Alpha combo in a 26 foot Pursuit fishboat. I'm sure it's because he kept drive oil instead of saltwater in it. :)

MOP
04-07-2004, 06:30 PM
I been around the Alphas as long as anyone else up here, I think they have a bad rep. I have an awful lot of customers with big fat old cruisers members of the largest fishing fleet in the world so as not to get ethnic that go out with way heavy loads run like mad men to Gardners Island to Porgy (Hint) fish many of which have very high hours. I think the novice that stomps the crap out of them is where the rep comes from. I know there will be a few high HP guys that will chime in later. I myself had a 65 Owens XL20 with a 165 Merc that survived 5 years of heavy skiing and drunken driving it never gave me trouble. Give it good oil and keep it cool and adjusted it will be back there for a long time.

MOP

Speed-Racer
04-07-2004, 09:12 PM
As everyone has said just take care of it, and push it until it snaps... :smash:

Murphy
04-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I trashed an Alpha drive 3 years ago, so it's fresh in my mind. Running along just fine and then felt this strong bump like we'd hit a stump or rock, only we were in deep water. I thought something had busted loose in the engine, but carefully restarted and limped back to the ramp. Removed the upper gearcase lid and found a chunk of steel the size of a .38 slug. It was what was left of a gear tooth that had busted off. When I'd bought the boat, I pulled the lower plug on the drive and got a combination of water and California crude. Stunk like hell. Flushed it, changed it, flushed it and changed again. Apparently the damage was already done by then. I'm sure poor care by the previous owner was the cause, so I'm hoping the combination of frequent lube change, cooling, and careful handling is the ticket. Be sure you buy a prop with a rubber hub insert as well. No solid hubs for these drives! The upside is I replaced the original Alpha with an Alpha SS and love it. If you can find an SS, the changeover is no sweat and will improve performance and handling.

Murph

Cuda
04-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Murph, what boat are you running?

Murphy
04-08-2004, 08:47 AM
1986 Classic 22 with SBC. You can view this boat and drive at http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=42 on the registry.

I'm running a Hydromotive Quad IV prop on the drive at this time and really like the way the boat handles with it.

Murph

BUIZILLA
04-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Rob, what SIMREK part # did you use for your drive shower on the SS drive? I need one.

Jim

MOP
04-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Jim the $60 ones are still up on Ebay, one of the members bought one awhile it looks to be an exact rip off.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I need the specific SIMREK # for an SS drive.

J

Fish boy
04-08-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree with cuda that there are more stories than actual problems, but conceed that it is not as strong as the bravo.

Budmann has been running his alpha for years on a 22c. I spoke with him about his alpha one day and he told me that he could not be happier with it, just service it regularily and take it easy getting up on a plane.

Fish

EricG
04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I posted a very similar thread last year....here it is:Alpha Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23720)

I had a few issues with my Z when I had it...but the drive was never one of them....then again, I'm happy to be getting a Volvo this time - hopefully it will be one less thing to worry about :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

-EG
-Wait, what happened to my Power Trim? ;)

Morgan's Cloud
04-08-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to confuse 'strength' and 'durability' here .. but I can assure you all that there was never a better maintained or 'babied' alpha anywhere than the one I had. I can't recall ever more than ONE holeshot and never catching air and hooked up to stock 351W (250 cshp).
I think my mechanic added a swimming pool on during the 16 years I ran it... he always B$%&*+d about Mercs but I think he secretly loved them :wink:

I'm glad to have seen the last of it...... even though I've still got the 502/B3 that's another story .

S

Steve Harwood-Stamper
04-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I like to think that reliability is an approach, its in the mind. It has to start with the owner. The guy that looks after that drive of yours, will make all the difference as to what you think of it. If he keeps it within tolerances as per the book, it will work hard and fine. Does he have the books and dial gauges and special tools and does he use them.
I have seen loads and loads of Alpha's over here in the UK.
Notmany guys here have the pressure tester let alone a dial gauge.

They all work fine when they are put back into spec.
The Alpha bearing, a good design.

You have a performance rig there.

Ferraris' Schumacker, he isnt just quick, he's kind to the car.

Morgan's Cloud
04-08-2004, 02:22 PM
It has to start with the owner. The guy that looks after that drive of yours, will make all the difference as to what you think of it. If he keeps it within tolerances as per the book, it will work hard and fine. Does he have the books and dial gauges and special tools and does he use them.

The guy who did my drive work was THE dean of sterndrives.I'd put him up against the best anywhere and he had all the tools ...
Besides, I felt good about my 'package' long before he did anything to it .. It aint his fault... or mine :biggrin.:

Murphy
04-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Jim,

I ordered the standard Alpha Drive shower. I cut it off just above the pickup fittings. When you grind the weld off, the tubing slips right out of the fitting and you can cut to proper length for an SS. I tack welded them back just like new, or any decent welder can do the job.

Murph

BUIZILLA
04-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanx Murph, that's what i'll do.

J