PDA

View Full Version : Update. Bent prop shaft.

txtaz
04-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Well I met with the owner and chief mehanic of sail and ski today. We all agree that the boat would not run at top speed with a bent shaft. We went through it like an engineering shakedown. The only way to tell if the boat would run, duh, was to run it. Have a seat, you won't believe this. We launched the boat and it ran fine and smooth at 60 mph. We measured the bend at 1/4" to 3/8". Hard to believe the boat ran well like this. I had to admit the shaft was damaged when I purchased the boat and profusly appologized.
So there goes another grand and was someone saying something about a boat ownership test or something.
At least the boat is getting ready for the summer for us to have fun.
Wes

MOP
04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Wes I am going to make a guess! The aft end of the skeg was broken at an angle from prop shaft housing forward, from when a floating god knows what got between the prop and the skeg. I doubt if it was bent when you got it. Opinion!

Phil / MOP

txtaz
04-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Phil you may be right. I think I would have known if I hit something to bend the shaft that much. The owner of sail and ski brought up the same scenario. My main corncern was that the shop did not do the damage. The boat handled and ran the same as it did the day before I took it in. With a shaft that bent, I'm amazed. So I needed to own the responsibility bite the bullet and get it fixed. Hey, it's a boat, go figure it costs money. LOL I'm just happy that the shop and I were able to come to a mutual agreement without getting lawyers involved. They were professional and got everyone involved, but it seemed that it took some threats in order to do it.
Thanks for your help.
Wes