PDA

View Full Version : SBC Advise needed...

Trueser
04-07-2004, 11:53 AM
OK I have a few questions and need some help. First the boat ran perfect all year with no problems. While trying to repair the baffles and side floor in the engine compartment we decided to pull both motors. What we found is the exhaust manifolds were shot. And I can see rust on the valves. So I’m thinking its time to re-power. Or do you think I should pull the heads and rebuild?

!986 Z29 with 260/ alpha 1 675 hours

I found this motor from Michigan Motorz. Anyone have any feedback? Or is there a hot deal on anything else?

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/v1_g.htm

The baffles that run between the stringers under the engine. Do they do anything? What is the best way to replace?

On the side of the engine compartment the floor is shot but the stringers are perfect. Anyone run into this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I will add pictures tonight.

Mike

Trueser@comcast.net

MOP
04-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Check this site, with the savings you can get some good exhaust and come out ahead. My 2 cents

Phil

http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/base/

Rootsy
04-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Actually probably not a bad price for a complete turn key motor... BUT first i'd investigate if there is actually anything wrong with your motor... do a compression and leak down... pull a head and look the valves and bores over if you so desire... if she's tired then you have 2 options.. rebuild... or replace... with the vortec motor you listed you can't use your existing intake manifold but your ignition and carb can be reused BUT the vortec manifold for that motor accepts a square bore carb and not a spread bore like the q-jet...

if you take a base GM long block cost.. add a marine holley, T-Bolt IV ignition system, plug wires, exhaust, plumbing, other odds and ends and assembly labor it honestly isn't all that bad a price... especially with a warranty... but yes i reckon you can get it cheaper somewhere else if you look deep enough...

you can rebuild your 260, get dang near the same power levels... for a lot less (read - maybe a bit more than half)... if you are able to do some or most of the work yourself... figure to properly assemble a motor so taht you KNOW with confidence it is gonna live a long and happy life... parts are gonna be about 40 - 60% of the total cost depending on what you use for parts (quality)... labor isn't cheap anymore :(

Dr. Dan
04-09-2004, 04:14 PM
:cool: T...... I will have my Motor back in the next two weeks, there are alot of Photos of it ...under Dr. Dan... on my Atlantic Site,www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com if you're interested....

email me...the motor is a solid 330 horse 454....it is tight and burns no oil, with less than 250 hours on it....

You could do some of Jamies suggested upgrades and have a nice package....otherwise it will likely end up in a restored Corvette or Chevelle in the Mid Atlantic area...

:shades: Doc

Trueser
04-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Here is my biggest problem. I have TWINS......

everything is double................

1986 Z29

I purchased two sets of GLM manifolds today. And it looks like I will buy the Vortec motors in detroit. That way I can pick them up and be home in one day.

I still have to get some pctures...

Thanks
Mike