PDA

View Full Version : power trim trouble

donzifirstlove
04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
hey guys,

I was getting my 94' sweet 16 all ready for the 04' season, changing the oil and what not. my battery was dead so I charged it up, droped it back in and attempted to raise my lower unit to move the boat. when I did so the drive came up and them fell back down. i saw something spraying out of the drive onto the driveway so i went back to check it out. both power trim cylinders were split and water w/ some oil was squirting out of them. some how water got into the cylinders and froze up and broke them.

I got the boat from a guy in FL so this was most likely her first winter. I check my fluids frequently and I know that when I put the boat away for the winter, the hydrolic res was full. any ideas as to why that water would have been in the cylinders, how did it get there. I have to replace them both, they are expencive and i just want to try to prevent this from reoccuring. any help would be great.

thanks
steve

MOP
04-06-2004, 09:18 PM
There are usually a couple of sets up on Ebay, I would just replace them after a good flush with clean fluid run a couple of quarts through and catch the mess in a bucket, run both cycles up and down Until clean. You may never solve the mystery. Good idea to use a tubing wrench when breaking hte fittings loose.

Phil

donzifirstlove
04-06-2004, 09:50 PM
yeah, I was looking at a set on ebay, better than paying 700 for a new set. thanks for the advice. One thing I knwo for certian is that when I fix it, it will be done right and i wont have to worry about it for a while.

RickR
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
I agree with poodle. Had the same problem with my 1995 22.
The resevoir cap was directly under the hatch drain
Resevoir had milky oil in it. :incredibl