PDA

View Full Version : K-Planes or Bennett Trim Tabs

Boat_Mon
04-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Bennett ST-16 Sport Tab or K-Plane 150S???? I think I've located the Best prices ever on Bennetts, now I'm looking to price K-planes. Whats the consensus? I notice most of you seem to have the Bennets with the single actuator........thoughts??

mjpcowboy
04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Depends on what they would be going on. K-Planes are great but tend to be a little overkill for anything under 26ft. Just my $.02

Woodsy
04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
If you gots the $$ go for the K-Planes... They are without a doubt one of the beefiest tabs out there. Eddie Marine makes some nice tabs too, certainly stronger than the Bennets. Then again, if moneys a little tight, you might want to consider the Victory tabs too, kinda of a middle tab between the Bennets and the K's... I think Roadtrip just put a set on his boat.

Woodsy Von Outboard

Donzigo
04-06-2004, 11:41 PM
I've got Bennetts with single actuator on my Z-33, (an 8,000 lb boat). They work pretty well. I see the two actuator models around; they look cool and I'm sure Mr. Bennett wants everybody to have 2 on each tab; but, I'm not sure what would be gained by it. The K-planes look good too, hey those Latham steering units look neat, too, ......................... see where this leads..............it's only money, dude!...........

Boat_Mon
04-07-2004, 12:07 AM
see where this leads..............it's only money, dude!...........

"Boat" by definition
Pronunciation: 'bOt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English boot, from Old English bAt; akin to Old Norse beit boat
1 a : a small vessel for travel on water b : SHIP
2 : a hole in the water which one dumps money in

Thanks for the input guys!!

Forrest
04-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Depends on what they would be going on. K-Planes are great but tend to be a little overkill for anything under 26ft. Just my $.02

I agree. What are they going on?

Tom Davis
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Just my .02 but......While at a boat show a few years ago, with many Winni Bandits, the guy in the Bennett booth told us that if you have a performance boat and spend any time in the air (Airtime is good :hyper: ) then you need something as strong as the K-Planes even under 26ft. Keep in mind that durring re-entry the entire weight of the boat + inertial load, is landing on the tabs (as well as the outdrive, but the outdrive is not flat)....

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

JimG205
04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Bennett's on the 20 ft Minx seem just fine and do the job-K-planes are great but only for the big boy's.Go with the bennett's.

Tabman II
04-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Really, it depends on what they will be installed on and how the vessel will be driven, since our systems are designed for vessels that run in the 40 to 60 mph range. Now, there are quite a few vessels out there that are running outside of this range with our trim tabs installed without any issues, in fact many Donzi's come standard with our trim tabs installed and work very well without any trouble. The real questions are what is the size of the vessel, how fast can she run, how hard are you going to drive it (be honest with yourself) and what do you really want to gain with the installation. After answering these questions the choice will be a breeze!! :cool!:

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net
www.bennetttrimtabs.com

KRAVEN
04-07-2004, 06:53 PM
I am currently running dual ram bennetts,but will be replacing them with victory tabs this weekend. :yippie:

bigman
04-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Probably nothing you want, but my problem was weight and chinewalk. I wanted to try something light and cheap, I didn't know if trimtabs would help. I have an 18' classic, I put Lenco, electric trim tabs just to try them. I don't run as hard as some of the others out there but for 2 years I've run them with no failure at all and they do a great job of leveling the boat.

GEOO
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I would run Bennett tabs. They are fine for most 16, 18's, I couldn't break mine. However, I did hear of one 22 that had broke one tab in rough water.
Bennett tabs use one light 12volt motor, maybe 10 amps.
K-planes use two very large heavy pumps, each pump can draw 30+ amps at a stall.
Bennett tabs are light 3-4 lbs.
K-plane must weigh 15 lbs each.
A complete K-plane kit might add 75-100lbs to your boat.
Bennett maybe 10-15lbs.

Not sure on the exact amps and weights. But this will give you the basic idea.

pmreed
04-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Tabs? What stinkin' tabs!! They just slow ya down. :D Seriously, the only time I use my tabs (twin-ram Bennets on my 22C) is when I need to level out the ride at cruise. Otherwise, they're up.

Phil

Hotspare
04-08-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm running Single Actuator Bennet Tab's on my 22 at Present .... But there just going along for the ride most the time ........ I love running loose ..... I find that in the rare instances that I do use them, the response is a bit lumbering to say the least .... On the other hand ,,,,, I drove DonziDan's BlackHawk a while back, with the factory installed K-Plane setup, and found the response imediate and setting's prescise ...... The systems are redundant and exclusive to each tab ....... So, If your application requires that level of response, the K-Plane is the way to go,,,, However, as stated above, the cost and weight could be substantial ....

Tabman II
04-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I am currently running dual ram bennetts,but will be replacing them with victory tabs this weekend. :yippie:

Kraven,

What size trim tabs are you running right now? 12 x 12's or 12 x 16's, since we do offer a couple of Heavy Duty trim tabs that may work for your upgrade!

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net
www.bennettrimtabs.com

Boat_Mon
04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Guys, thanks much for the great info and perspective. Let me start by saying that the application for this is for a 17'6" "Donzi Like" hull. Now I'm not opening up a can of worms with that one!! I love Donzi's, they run/handle great, solid hulls, the whole bit, but again my boat is only a "Donzi Like" hull. I mean heck, look where I'm at lookin for advice!!

Anyhow, with that said, at about 62 she starts to walk, by 65 I feel like I'm in a Rodeo! By 66,67, any remaining passengers convince me to slow down. Hence, She needs some tabs. I have to say, K-planes look sweet, but way overkill. Bennetts with the dual actuator, very cool look, just don't need it, even for the small actual price increase to get it. I've opted for the new Bennett Kit M120. :idea: http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/m80120.htm

With that fancy new batwing type of tab how can you go wrong!!! :biggrin:

With the mods I've done to the boat over the winter I really think this will be a 70mph boat, I think the tabs I just ordered TODAY, will keep it square!

I have to say, another reason I decided to go with Bennetts is due to their OUTSTANDING customer support, I called them just to gain some insight to their product and felt like I had just fired off a shotgun under Avalanche Ridge by the time the guy got done dumpin info on me. First rate, first class. By the way, I'm not affilliated with any tab companies in any way, just trying to make an educated purchase. Thanks for everyones help to get it done. I'll post pics when complete. One last thing, If anyone wants the website where I found THE BEST pricing I've ever seen on tabs (new) shoot me a PM and I'll respond.

Thanks.

Tabman II
04-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Boat_Mon,

Congratulations on your choice and purchase! If you find you have some questions regarding the installation or run up on some type of mounting situation you can’t get around, please drop me line and I will see what we have “up our sleeves” that will make it easier to complete the installation! Again thanks for the purchase and don’t hesitate to contact us anytime!

Sincerely,
TII