PDA

View Full Version : Non assist hydraulic steering.

MOP
04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Is anyone running hydraulic steering with out using a pump to make it power assist. I have decided to go with internal single ram, I have a faor bit of hands on with big boat steering. Up until lately most ran un assisted systems and turned some big rudders, since the BH drive does not have side torque it should work fine. Would like a tad of input from guys like me Old Farts that have been there done that!

Phil

Woodsy
04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
MOP...

Give Waleye a call.... LOL! I know I know! But seriously, thats what he runs on his 18 BH, I think its a Seastar or similar system and his is awesome, (disclaimer: the following should not be attempted by anyone other than Steve Marr and could result in serious bodily injury or death or maiming or perhaps even long drawn out legal battles)

You can run Steves boat at WOT with no hands... on Winni... been there done that... ask CDMA & Bertram. They drove the boat. Short of a really annoying vibration from engine misalignment she rides on rails. Allegedly that problem will be fixed this year.

If you have rigging questions get ahold of T-bone oops, I mean Tom Davis.. he rigged the boat

Woodsy Von Outboard

gcarter
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Phil, your logic sounds good. You see unboosted hydraulics on large inboards all the time.

George

Ed Donnelly
04-05-2004, 10:26 PM
I ran my twin turbo 16' with manual hydraulic. Right turns, one finger.Left turns under acceleration,two arms and a little help from my friends. The BH should be no problem though.No torque feed back through the steering wheel...Ed

MOP
04-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys, still not sure which way I am going, was thinking adjustable helm. Capilano makes a good unit that coupled with a K series should work.

Phil