PDA

View Full Version : Bent prop shaft...need info please

txtaz
04-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow is this getting the boat checked out getting expensive. I was at $1300 untill they called and said the prop shaft was bent. I think I would have felt it vibrate when running it. Here's what they are doing:
1. Check out low engine temp (sensor)
2. Check actual hours on ECM
3. Change oil
4. Check the plugs
5. Fix the skeg and put on stainless skeg gaurd
6. Change water impeller and water pump
This is for $1300
Does anyone see a problem with this? AND now they are saying the proop shaft is bent.............
Looks like I'll be doing alot more of my own maintenance from now on.
Thanks,
Wes

Ranman
04-05-2004, 04:34 PM
You're getting ripped off. That's wayyyyy too much $$$ for what you're describing.

harbormaster
04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
take it somewhere else.

txtaz
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys I'm picking up the boat tomorrow. At least the skeg got repaired. I can put on a silly skeg gaurd and change the fluids. Plus a temp sensor is only $14. For anyone reading this repair and quote was made at Sail and Ski in San Antonio. Beware.......
Can anyone tell me how to check for a bent prop shaft? From the way they made it sound, it was obvious to the naked eye. When I spun the prop before taking it in, it looked just fine plus no damage to the prop.
Thanks,
Wes

Woodsy
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Taz...

You got ripped, unless that $1300 included the cost of repairing the bent propshaft. I would be in touch with the Atty Generals office and the Better Business Bureau. Its entirely possible you bent a propshaft when you hit something that first day out. Its not all that hard to do. I smacked a rock in my 18, had the drive rebuilt, and got a bent shaft from OMC, right out of the box.

You didn't say what the power/drive combo is, but I am guessing small block/alpha?

Woodsy Von Outboard

Rootsy
04-05-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah no doubt.. RIPPED OFF...

lets see... since i've done all of this just a time or two..

1. Remove, Unpackage New, Gap , INstall - 45 minutes tops...
2. Replace Temp Sender - 20 minutes
3. Replace Impeller - 2 Hours TOPS (includes removal and installation of drive - plus they have to split it if it is an alpha) OMC easier...
4. Change oil - 30 minutes - drains while doing plugs
5. Check Hours - 15 minutes
6. skeg and skeggard.. 2 hours tops if they are doing a skeggard..

and figure $70 / hr... plus oh 15 bucks for plugs, 5 for oil filter, depending upon oil 12 - 40 bucks, impeller kit - 25 bucks...

yep i say you are getting ripped off...

to do the propshaft removal and installation will take 4 - 6 hours... there's shimming, preloads, and backlash and such to do... you pretty much have to gut the whole gearcase and reassemble it... many special tools also...

for what that's all worth...

JR - Parts here, Parts there, Parts everywhere...

txtaz
04-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks again to all,
I don't think I bent the prop shaft. I did hit something the first day out, but it turns out the skeg had been repaired with JB weld and was easy to come off. What ever I hit wasn't hard enough to bend a prop shaft, just enough to break the repair job. Plus the prop wasn't even scratched. I think the shop did something to the shaft when they removed the lower unit. I will find out tomorrow. PLUS I will not acccept a shop jerking me around, so words will be exhanged and action taken. Their choice to make it right or not.

Woodsy, it's a 350 MAG MPI with a Bravo 1 drive.

Thanks to all the input, I stopped the work after the skeg was fixed and into it for $350.
I'll take care of the rest.
Thanks again,
Wes

MOP
04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Wes another tip, go into the Registry check out fellows in your area and drop them a note. Most have ferrited out the good shops etc. The prop shaft can if not not more than about 3/16" out be roll straightened, but it should be carefully inspected before, on the seal area where the hit applied most of its force. Also the bearing carrier has to be looked over the outer bearing takes the hardest hit, good idea to change that bearing and the seals. It is wise to have the shaft Magna Fluxed. 95+% come out OK but many have broken right at the carrier later. I am a little over kill having spent most of my wrench time in shallow water.

Phil

gcarter
04-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Am I missing something? Can't it be checked with a simple dial indicator?

George