PDA

View Full Version : JimG's new ride...

JimG
04-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Well, it's official! It's ours! We splashed the new (to us) boat yesterday, after dragging it home from Austin on Saturday. (Thanks Krakmeup for the company!)

Here's the skinny:
1994 Thoroughbred, kevlar hull
509, CMI headers, DUI ignition, Brodix intake, Merlin heads
Dual ram IMCO steering to helm, 280S planes

Runs GREAT! I hadn't changed the oil yesterday, so I didn't run it hard. Changed oil when I got her home. Plenty of room in the cabin, nice deep cockpit.

MsJimG just LOVES it!

TMANN
04-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Very nice... can't wait to see this thing in person. Did you sell your 18?

TMANN

Donzigo
04-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Very nice........

MOP
04-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Very nice looking good luck with it!

Phil

JimG
04-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks!!

TMANN, no not selling the 18! It's still my baby!

EricG
04-05-2004, 11:31 AM
The new boat looks great!! It looks to me like all of you Houston guys are moving up to bigger boats this spring :wink:.

I've never heard of Thoroughbread...what's the story with them...it sure looks great!

EG
-If anyone in Houston see's my boat...please tell it to come home :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

JimG
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Thoroughbred was a company started by Steve Stepp after he sold the Velocity name to Regal. He built the Thoroughbreds as pure custom boats with any power options he could stuff in. Most of the T-Breds were Kevlar hulls. When Steve re-aquired Velocity in the early 90's, Thoroughbreds were built and sold alongside the Velocity's, sort in a Toyota/Lexus strategy. The Velocity was a glass boat with limited options, the T-Breds were no-holds barred customs. Steve phased the name out in 1995, and now builds only Velocity. (Great boats, BTW!)

The 280 Velocity is popped from the same mold as my 26' Thoroughbred, with a swim platform added on. It's a Delta Pad type of design, (which SHOULD have a terrible ride, but somehow doesn't...), as are all Velocitys all the way to the 41'.

tamburello
04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Congrats on the new ride! I've always loved the looks of the 26 Thoroughbreds. I've gotten spanked by one on my home lake those babys can move out! Have fun!

- Jeff

Team Jefe
04-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Hey, I recognize that Donzi in the Cockpit Shot.

Nice ride....the donzi I mean (now If I just ran)

Kidding, that is a Very nice ride. Can wait to get home a take a ride.....actually I just can't wait to get home.

Dredgeking
04-06-2004, 06:28 PM
jim had a bit of a struggle to get this boat. the previous owner decided not to sell it to me 2.5 years ago and almost didn't sell it to jim. the previous owner will miss this boat very much, but i know jim is a well deserving new owner. i had a lot of great times riding and driving this boat. hell, i won $1200 bucks in a poker run on lake travis 2 years ago in this boat. i hope it brings you luck, jim. this boat handled better and out ran my 29' fountain that was an old F1 race boat. this boat is no slouch and if you come up against jim in galveston bay be prepared to put the throttles all the way down.

congrats jim.

JimG
04-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks Dredgeking! It was the most heart-wrenching, hand-wringing, drenched with sweat deal I've ever done! But, in the end, John was a great guy and I'm just TICKLED with the boat. It's everything I wanted and more: fast, beautiful and well-sorted out! John is amazingly meticulous, and this boat shows it. I hope I can do him justice in my ownership. I'll surely try...

JimG

boldts
04-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Jim,

Congradulations on your purchase. I've always liked the Steve Stepp designs because of the stability and speed they obtained with stock HP. You stick a performance engine in there and you better be hanging on! :yes: :biggrin.:

BTW, from the engine picture, check your drive oil. It's way below the line on the holder behind the engine. Those things are mounted high on the transom and sometimes missed in doing maintence.

:beer:

JimG
04-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks Boldts!

BTW: It's an old pic. The bottle was full when I picked the boat up. Thanks!!

Cuda
04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
So Jim, did you sell the cruiser, or are you starting your own marina like me. :)

JimG
04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Cuda, no we've completely lost our minds! :bonk:

We're keeping them all! Janet put it best: "Jim, this is what we do! We don't have any other hobbies. We don't have kids. We don't golf. We BOAT!" :rlol:

Cuda
04-07-2004, 03:43 PM

We're keeping them all! Janet put it best: "Jim, this is what we do! We don't have any other hobbies. We don't have kids. We don't golf. We BOAT!" :rlol:

Our thoughts exactly! :yes:

Team Hula Girl
04-07-2004, 05:00 PM

I think you are completely sane

JimG
04-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Coupla running shots on Clear Lake this past weekend...