PDA

View Full Version : OMC Cobra Guru's, please

Jamesbon
04-04-2004, 09:28 PM
My father and I enjoyed success with his new 350, however, the Cobra drive didn't fare too well during our maiden voyage this weekend.

The upper oil reservoir (where the dipstick screws in) was dry after we experienced and engine stopping "bang" while coming up on plane. Once back on the trailer, the engine wouldn't turn over when bumping the starter. We then filled that same upper reservoir (on the Cobra) the engine turned over. Next we went back to the lake where the drive operated fine, but after 1/2 hour a noisy "gear/bearing like whine" all of a sudden appeared. She only makes this whine when in forward or reverse.

We wonder if the long cold Wyoming winter froze leftover water in the drive/pump housing and split something in there. The drive is coming off later this week for inspection.

My questions:
1) Where is the shifting mechanism in the unit? (it's not a cone clutch)
2) Does the lower leg of the Cobra drive utilize a seperate oil reserve as opposed to the upper section?
3) Does the lower leg of the drive separate from the upper, like a Volvo or Merc.?

We're pretty sure the damage resulted from the lack of oil in the upper portion where the dipstick was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

MOP
04-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Kind of hate to give my thoughts on this but I have disected a few over the years.
The upper bearings more than likely fetched up first no oil! That was when it was time to quit running it, upper gears and bearings. It cooled and loosed up with the oil but running it was not good the bearings put very hard debris in the oil that drive circulates oil real good IE: throughout the drive pretty fast. You may save some of the guts not sure, more than likely not.

Jamesbon
04-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks Phil.

Does that mean the lower leg uses the same oil as the upper?

I'll tear it down as much as one can with ordinary tools, but will probably have to leave the rest to an OMC guy.

Can anyone recommend a good, no GREAT OMC shop the the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

MOP
04-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Sorry Nate, was going to PM you but felt some of the others should know the "Don't Run it thing". OMC circulates the oil from top to bottom. There is a screen, if the parts moving are big less damage if small it makes a mess. If you break the upper gears usually little to no bottom damage but bearing being si hard and shaving off are a bugger. The vertical is usually fine and some times the prop shaft if not run to far. All the bearing and most likely the gears, take my word for it inspect all the gear and bearing surfaces very carefully if the shop deems them usable. Most good shops will throw all but the shafts out. Get a look see and an estimate, take deep breath some parts are tough to find right now though it is rumored that Bombardier will be restocking this year. You may be better trying for a used one, hard call you may happen onto some good used stuff. Gear sets must be matched do not mix sets new/old or two different gear cases, they will not last! What yard prepped the boat is another question you may have recourse, all fluids should have been checked. Pretty obvious someone missed the gear case.

Phil

MOP
04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Missed this part, check with Scott and Jim they are real knowledgable DOWN THERE, you know Soutern Boy stuff!

need for speed
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
I am also looking for a good omc guy around here to change out my shift cable etc..Naples fl. but willing to haul east etc

MOP
04-05-2004, 11:51 PM
I know what you are going through, out by me we have a raft of marinas. Trivia Long Island Has the third longest coast line in the Continental US. The top ones being Florida and California. Anyhow out of all the many possibilities there are only 3 maybe 4 that will do my work when I finally throw the :cussball: wrenches away. No two alike but special in their own right.
We need a recommendation section touting all the good shops, we have members on just about every body of water in the World :smile:
But no bashing of bad shops. That could possibly lead to grief for the HM. :frown: