PDA

View Full Version : Chine walk on my Barrelback

bigman
04-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I know this is being discussed on the Hydro test for the B.B. I just Wonder if anyone could answer one more ? for me. I have a new S.B. Mag. in my 18 2+3 clasic,68. Matty pointed out to me it was a barrelback (thanks again Matty) I did not know this, that it has different handling characteristics than a non barrleback. I have an older Teleflex steering system (there is some play in it) but other than that everything is new. I'm using a 23 Mirage. I just bought a set of alum. manifolds, GLM, to lighten the load and have a 100 lbs. of wieght in the front of the boat. I know it will go faster,64 on the Gaffrig speedo (no GPS) but it starts walking. My question is has anyone gone faster than this in the same type boat or would I be chasing ghosts to try to improve my boats top end? Any ideas are always appreciated, thanks again everyone, bigman.

txtaz
04-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Bigman,
Don't know if this helps, but my 90 18 classic does just fine between 65 and 70 mph. I don't know anything about a bb, so I may be way off coarse here. Once I get the boat checked out and serviced, I will let you know how it does between 70 and 75. We haven't had it wide open yet.
Wes

smoothie
04-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Bigman,so everyone is on the same page what outdrive do you have,and do you have powertrim?And most important how about some pics of your barrelback. :biggrin:

Cuda
04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Just an idea, but maybe the extra weight in the front is making it want to bow steer? Is it carrying the bow good? I've read the Mirage+ is better for bowlift.

bigman
04-04-2004, 07:33 PM
I have a Bravo 1, with powertrim, new in 2002. When I first installed the powerplant it was alot faster but I lost alot on the handling side. I had a 351 with a Volvo 250. This was a much lighter package than I have now. When I would turn (with the 350) it would list either side and with even the slightest amount of trim it would porpoise.The folks that installed the engine sugested I put wieght in the front, I put 100 lbs. of sand in the front and it made a huge diffrence. I gained about 2 or 3 mph (before it started to chinewalk) and 90% of the good handling was back. Its LH rotation and steering. It also handles better with 4 people in the boat but not as fast. It is not so low as to put water in the boat on quick stops, but you don't want to yank the wheel all the way to either side or you might get alittle wet. I have trim tabs that can force the front down but don't do much for the chine walk. Thanks again for all the advice,bigman.

goatee
04-06-2004, 11:47 PM
those are very good points. -outside of that, i cannot think of anything else. but then i am limited experience, and less knowledge. ......i think,,,dont mess with it. sounds dangerous.
now back to the pic's....

mattyboy
04-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Bigman,
you need to speak with barrelback owners, your hull is different from Wes's.

the answer lies in tab setting, what kind of tabs are you running?,x dimension, and prop selection especially number of blades, and blade design.
I do recall seeing a barrelback in Lk George with a "stock 350" and a bravo that ran high 70's but I have not seen it around lately must be spring break ;) :tongue:

plus is there any play in the steering, not familiar with a bravo but my volvo has just a hair of play in the helmut/tiller arm what ever you call it.

cdma where are you????

Matty

txtaz
04-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Point taken Matty... :banghead:
We are still learning here.
Wes

mattyboy
04-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Wes,
don't bang your head against the wall ;)
:) i learned too, and some stuff i wish I could forget ;)
I didn't realize there was a difference at first either ;) but the 2 hulls are very different and ride totally different.

CDMA's 18 has a similar setup to Bigman's or well should i say had??? :rolleyes:

Matty