PDA

View Full Version : Advice on synthetic oils.

txtaz
04-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey group,
I'm having the boat completely gone over and changing all fluids, plus a few other things. I have always used Amsoil in my cars for engine, tranny and diff with great sucess. The Mercury manual says to only use their products, go figure. Does anyone have info on using sythetics in a 350 Mag MPI and Bravo 1 drive?
Thanks,
Wes

MOP
04-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Amsoil and Mobil 1 I have had very good results, the guy up here like Red Line a lot also. I plan on switching the new mill over to Red Line or Amsoil at 25 hours. I am a real believer, every thing I have put it in has gotten better mileage and lasted longer. Amsoil in particular interests me a close Bud has over 300,000 on his Mercedes diesel, runs like a top and no smoke. The mech at Mercedes can't believe it did not start smoking yet all do at 240-250,000. Another point is the Amsoil air filter, his oil samples were not good. He was advised by Amsoil to use their filter, samples were great next round. This is all very fresh in my mind having gotten blitz and talked about it for hours with him last night! Some will argue but I would not run anything else after break in.

Phil

txtaz
04-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks Phil,
Since we use our cars everyday, the sythetics really make a difference. We also use them in our classics ('68 Firebird - one owner and '67 Mercedes convertible). Harley Davidson is now shipping new bikes with synthetics. Talk about an a___ retentive company. You just know they tested everything about synthetics before deciding to use them.
I guess I'm trying to decide to use sythetics since I'm planning on changing oil every year and it costs about $80 a case for 12 quarts. To be honest, this is our first inboard boat and I don't know what the best maintenance plan is. I know the sythetic fluids last longer and are slipperier, but time is also an issue with fluids. So, I'm just feeling my way around this to find the best plan.
BTW, Amsoil insists on using their auto oil filters and replacing them every 12,000 miles and changing oil every 24,000 miles. For a daily driver, you save money and engine life. I haven't heard anything about their air filters. I was planning on looking for a K&N for the boat. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Wes

MOP
04-04-2004, 10:40 PM
A few schools of thought, I run my syn oils about half the time they are recommeded in my vehicles. The boats another story, I like 100 hours normal use cruisers. But in our boats depening on usage I think 25-50 is good. I have not been able to put much time on i6 hours in 3 years, my 16 has had 5 changes due to wintering and two break in changes. Hoping for a bit more time to play this season, also will get to use it a little for work.
I have an idea to use 1/8 copper with rolled edges to make a top and bottom plate to run a large K&N with the big Merc HP one that is coming off the 350, I ran this setup once before the carb was clean like new at seasons end so I know the inards were clean also.

Phil

HyperDonzi
04-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Mop, how many miles is too many to switch? Dads looking for better gas mileage in his car. 53k on it now, when he bought it, had 46k, and he drives like a grandpa. Should it be fine?

MOP
04-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Mop, how many miles is too many to switch? Dads looking for better gas mileage in his car. 53k on it now, when he bought it, had 46k, and he drives like a grandpa. Should it be fine?

Damn Hyper good to see you in here, I have changed some pretty high milers over. What has happened is they develope oil leaks or worse they start to burn oil. I think about 50k is still save having done a few at there and just above with only minor oil leaks. My Park Ave did not get syn until 61,000 it did get aminor pan gasket leak, but the jump in mileage was worth it. It went from 19-20 town and 29 20 30.9 at 70mph on cruise. If off cruise I blow a bit more out the tube by the way the 30.9 was logged by Bonnie at 70 coming down from the 1000 Islands with over 90,000 on the beast. I would do it he will benefit from it!

Phil