PDA

View Full Version : I think we're moving

Cuda
04-04-2004, 08:45 AM
We have been casually looking for a place to move. We had been thinking of just east of Tampa. Most of our work is in Orlando and beyond, so we are trying to cut off traveling through Tampa and save an hour each way. A couple weeks ago I was visiting an old freind in Daytona, when he suggested that Volusia county would be a good place for our home. It mad sense since we work in Jax quite a bit too. I have often said when I retire I want to live in Deland with access to the St John's and still only 30 miles from the Atlantic. Thursday we were working in Orlando, so Debbie and I took a ride to Deland to look at a house we had seen on the internet. As soon as we pulled up, I was sold! Now just have to work out financing, and I think we're there! :biggrin:

Cuda
04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
It has a huge double garage with a workshop in the back. It's also already plumbed for a bathroom in it. I sure will love having a garage to tinker with my boats in!

Cuda
04-04-2004, 08:53 AM
It's on a canal less than a half mile from the St John's River. The canal doesn't look like much, but it's because there are leaves floating in it. I know I won't be able to get the Formula down it, but I can get the fishboat or the Minx in there I'm pretty sure.

Cuda
04-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Facing the other direction from the dock, there is a place to launch small boats.

Cuda
04-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Pool and patio area. I may remove the pool, since it's my opinion you spend a lot more time cleaning a pool than you do swimming in it.

Cuda
04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
It's about 12 feet down to the water, so I don't think flooding would be a problem.

Cuda
04-04-2004, 09:02 AM
This is my only concern about the house. It looks like it needs a seawall or something to shore up this bank. The other side of the walkway has already been shored up. It may also be a concern to the finance company. :(

ChromeGorilla
04-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Grats Cuda! Hope everything works out for ya . Now surely that canal is a manatee zone....lol. I have been speaking with Robert Nelem on the phone lately and he says hello.

SLV

Cuda
04-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Debbie is extremely excited to get the house. The people who live there have been there for 24 years and raised four kids there. The one son who is still at home doesn't want them to sell. The wife seems like she has mixed emotions about selling too. There are empty lots on both sides of us that will never be developed, and the owner also owns the lot across the street that he will sell me for $15k.

The real clincher was when we left to drive to see the river there. There is a big park with a great boat launch just around the corner. It's where SR 44 crosses the river. Looks like a great spot for a Seadogs meeting to me! :biggrin:

gcarter
04-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Cuda ;
It's hard to do better.
You know, I'm just about 20 miles across the river. My wifes family lives in Daytona, so I'm through there frequently. I know the park you're speaking of, and it is a great location. So , hopefully, welcome to Central Florida. I really appreciate the logistics, 1 1/2 hours to East or West coast, great highways; I-95, I-4, Turnpike, and two or three great airports.
I'm looking forwards to seeing you as a neighbor.

George

MOP
04-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Cuda better wipe your shoes off, you have stepped in it. Great looking place. Hope it goes smoothly, enjoy!

MOP

Donzigo
04-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Joe & Debbie.

Wow! What a great spot. Go for it. You're right, a pool is a pain, unless you have kids. A jaccuzi makes more sense. Great workshop. But the ohter lot, too. I need a place to put a trailer.....:-)

Richard

JimG205
04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Joe-Good luck-Don't let this one slip away,sounds like you'll be saving alot of commute time-I can hear the Minx idling down the canal !!! Regards,Jim :boat:

pmreed
04-04-2004, 09:52 PM
I know exactly where you're looking. I've launched from the S.R 44 ramp many times in the past.

Phil

ps: had a good time with your buddy, Rick at St. Cloud. We may be able to talk him into a Donzi yet!

Cuda
04-04-2004, 11:31 PM
I know exactly where you're looking. I've launched from the S.R 44 ramp many times in the past.

Phil

ps: had a good time with your buddy, Rick at St. Cloud. We may be able to talk him into a Donzi yet!

Ah, you must be talking about Rchevelle71! He's a great guy, we didn't know for a long time, but he's the guy that bought my cruiser from me. :) I suggested that he might like playing the Donzi game! :)

Fish boy
04-04-2004, 11:58 PM
congrats cuda and debbie. Hate to see you leave the area, but the place looks really sweet and very boat friendly. Keep us updated.

Fish

Team Hula Girl
04-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Cuda,

What do you think about the Riverview, Ruskin, Apollo beach area? Real close to I-4 and I-75 and plenty of good real estate prices to be found on the Alafia river or the Palm river.

The best part is that you are just east of Tampa and don't have all the traffic to deal with. Plus your only 20 minute to downtown Tampa and 5 minute to the Tampa bay waterways.

I have only met you once, but I woulkd sure hate to see you guys go. What would the OPBA be without you?

J Mitchell

rchevelle71
04-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Ah, you must be talking about Rchevelle71! He's a great guy, we didn't know for a long time, but he's the guy that bought my cruiser from me. :) I suggested that he might like playing the Donzi game! :)

I knew somebody was talkin about me, glad to see its good :biggrin: , Nice meeting both of you guys, Cuda last year, and Phil this year. I was tellin Phil the cruiser story, of how I bought it sight unseen, then talked to you on the other forum for months, before I realized it was you I had bought it from. Well, like I was tellin Phil, I really like the Pantera, but Jen is not an offshore chick, so I may be looking at Donzi's soon, now I just need to figure out what fits me best, so I only have to do this once :checkered :checkered

Scott Heidt
04-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Nice looking house! We definitely hate to see you guys move away, but I feel your pain about that commute I used to drive from Tampa to Orlando. What a drag!

It is hard to tell how close the drop off is to any adjacent structure. Most like likely you should be okay unless there are signs that the area is starting to become unstable. You should be able to tell of any recent/ drastic erosion. Shoring methods will vary depending on the geology of that area and access for equipment.

Take it easy! I can't wait to see the Minx!

Cuda
04-06-2004, 08:02 PM
now I just need to figure out what fits me best, so I only have to do this once :checkered :checkered

Yeah right! The most fun part of boating is shopping for your next one! :)

rchevelle71
04-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Yeah right! The most fun part of boating is shopping for your next one! :)

I guess your right, only problem is, its kinda hard to take shopping seriously when you have no $$$$. Who knows, you might see a 23 Wellcraft on Ebay soon. I may even have to go boatless for a few months to get this done :eek!: :eek!:

Last Tango
04-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Boatless?!? The Horror! The Horror!
Hey Cuda, if you buy the house in the pictures, at least have a SEADOGS party at your place before you skizz the pool!

Speed-Racer
04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Sounds like it will be a lot more convient for you! Deland is a very nice area, and much smaller, and proably more small town friendly from St. Pete :yes: The Garage must have been the selling point :p ....If yah need any help moving give me a hollar!

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:12 PM
The Garage must have been the selling point :p ....If yah need any help moving give me a hollar!

You are exactly correct! When we came around the corner and saw it, I said SOLD! I didn't even care to look inside the house. The funny thing was, I didn't even know it had a garage until I pulled up. :)

I think the homeowners are really getting cold feet, they don't really want to sell, and I can't figure out why they are. I think they feel obligated since they put it up for sale. The man said he sure is going to miss his garage. It's 1250 square feet itself. :D

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
We finally got there Tuesday night to sign the contract, I've been so busy I wasn't sure when I would find time. We had a job in Orlando, so I lined my boys out, then Deb and I went to Deland to do the deal.

My boys making my house money! :)

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:18 PM
We swung by the park just around the corner before we met with them. Looks like a good spot for a Donzi meet. :yippie:

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:20 PM
More

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Local watering hole on the river. These guys were looking at me funny while I was taking the picture. When I drove by, I told the "FBI". :)

gcarter
04-15-2004, 04:33 PM
OK, I'll bite, did you close? :confused:

George

Cuda
04-15-2004, 04:53 PM
OK, I'll bite, did you close? :confused:

George
Nope, but we have a signed contract. I'm working on financing now. It's tough when you're never at home. :(

Fish boy
04-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Cuda,
sorry to see ya go, especially since i finally got a chance to meet you and debbie and share a few boat sodas. I know you got to do what you got to do, and sounds like you found the perfect place. Ditto to what brandon said regarding if you need any help with the move- just give me a ring or shoot me an email.

Fish

Cuda
04-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm think I'll have to have a Seadogs meet there. I have already picked out a name for it ........Donzipalooza! :biggrin:

florida gator
04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Nope, but we have a signed contract. I'm working on financing now. It's tough when you're never at home. :(

Cuda
Give me a call if you need help with the financing. I can do most of the work by phone, fax and email.

Office (352) 746-2221
Cell (352) 422-7296

Hopefully we can get together around St Pete before you leave. If not the St Johns is a lot of fun too.

Fish boy
04-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Donzipalooza, Donzipalooza, Donzipalooza, yeahhhh booooyyyy!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: