PDA

View Full Version : More Depth Finder Questions ?

RedDog
04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
I narrowed my depth finder problem to a bad transducer and have now removed it and cleaned everything up for a new installation - man is it painful to take a chisel and hammer to your Classic hull :nuke:

So what I am wondering about is the type of transducer to use for the new installation. I would think that a puck made for glueing to the inside of the hull (shoot thru hull) would be best but I have also heard that a transom mount type transducer glued to the inside of the hull will work just as well. Is this correct? Some units only offer the transom type mount.

Also I am wondering about the medium to mount the transducer. Many have said to use a slow cure epoxy. I think my old one was mounted using 5200? I have heard that he use of a silicon sealant will work as well. The use of something more flexible and less permanent seems desirable to me in case I need to change again. What are the recommendations?

bgagne
04-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Several years ago I mounted a transom type transducer inside the hull of a 21' Searay. Simply bedded it in silicone caulk. It worked fine for as long as we had the boat (about 6 years).

I do not think that you need to be to picky about it. The epoxy broke loose on mine and it still works as long as it is sitting relatively flat on the bottom.

Brian

RedDog
04-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks Brian. That seems to open more possibilities for installation.

RickR
04-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Reddog
Some transom mount transducers are shaped like a torpedo and will not epoxy easily for thru hull.

Thru hull mounting causes a >10% loss in sensitivity.

For the medium between the transducer and hull you can use oil, water, silicone, polysulfide (LifeCaulk), polyurathane (5200) etc.
The more flexible/ the more loss in sensitivity.