PDA

View Full Version : Closed Cooling

gcarter
04-03-2004, 09:52 AM
I just ordered a closed cooling system for my Minx/ SBC.
The system I bought was a San Juan complete w/manifold cooling. Total price is just over $600.00 :yippie: including shipping and sales tax (the supplier is in Florida). At these prices, why would anyone take a chance and not have closed colling? :confused:
http://www.oceaneastmarine.com/

George

MOP
04-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Good deal George, the engine will run better also. I am doing mine with a 1/2 system. My only concern was compartment temp which I doped out the other day.

Phil

Cuda
04-03-2004, 04:58 PM
I bought the exact same set up for my 330 horse 350 that I have in my 20 foot Formula. It was an easy install once I figured the trick to removing the plugs from the manifolds. One plug took me 6 hours of fighting, cussing, cutting, and bleeding to get off. I asked on Boatfix about an easier way. George said to heat the boss up around the plug, then put an ice cube on the plug and bring it out. Second plug took 15 minutes. Mind you these were practically brand new manifolds with no rust. The only other issue I had was to run a slightly shorter belt to the alternator so it wouldn't hit the tank before it tightened.

Has that block ever been in salt water?

gcarter
04-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Cuda, I haven't seen you on for a day or two. Hows your Minx engine doing? Has it run yet?
Believe it or not, my boat had an almost brand new set of everything StainlessMarine makes for a SBC, so the plugs aren't a problem. I'm getting my "new" engine this Friday. It's a '96 SBC Vortec. I should pick up 50 to 60 HP at the prop. And since it has just been marinized, no, it's never been in salt water.

George

Cuda
04-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi Cuda, I haven't seen you on for a day or two. Hows your Minx engine doing? Has it run yet?
Believe it or not, my boat had an almost brand new set of everything StainlessMarine makes for a SBC, so the plugs aren't a problem. I'm getting my "new" engine this Friday. It's a '96 SBC Vortec. I should pick up 50 to 60 HP at the prop. And since it has just been marinized, no, it's never been in salt water.

George

I was on the road all week and didn't get a chance to check up on my install.

The engine I have in my 20SC came from Ohio with 30 hours on it, so I installed the FWC before it ever got a taste of salt. Some people voice concern about the Alpha drives pumping enough water to cool in warm water. I never had any problem in near 90 degree water on my alpha.

gcarter
04-03-2004, 08:13 PM
If you check on another post here, I'm eliminating the Alpha pump impellor and am useing a through transom water pickup and a Mercruiser sea pump. I should have more than enough water.

George

Cuda
04-03-2004, 08:15 PM
If you check on another post here, I'm eliminating the Alpha pump impellor and am useing a through transom water pickup and a Mercruiser sea pump. I should have more than enough water.

George

Cool, I thought of doing the same thing. I've had two boats with the transom pick ups. The only problem I've had with them is in late summer when there is a lot of floating seaweed. It sometimes clogs the pick up. I clear it by running in reverse usually.

gcarter
04-03-2004, 08:22 PM
I wondered about that. Also I was wondering about a way to adapt a garden hose to it. Any ideas anyone?

George

RickR
04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Is there an issue with closed cooling on a used salt water engine?

Are the systems adequate for big HP? :shocking:

gcarter
04-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Is there an issue with closed cooling on a used salt water engine?

Are the systems adequate for big HP? :shocking:
Rick;
I've seen posts here that said you can't get the salt out of the castings, however, i'm of the opinion that if you were to soak and flush the engine several times with distilled water, you would remove the vast majority of it. I've never done this, but I'm in the water treatment business and that would be the normal procedure. Or soak and flush with phosphoric acid to dissolve any rust. Muriatic acid would probably work faster to convert ferric iron (rust) in ferrous iron that can be flushed out.
You can get cooling systems for any size engine of any horsepower. I think a simple way would be to use a full system on just the block and heads and would be more than adequate.

George

rayjay
04-04-2004, 02:40 PM
I know BigG has been running a closed cooling system on his supercharged monster engine, and unless something has changed he has not been having any trouble keeping it cool. Just make sure you get one sized properly for your engine / horsepower.

rayjay

Cuda
04-04-2004, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=RickR]Is there an issue with closed cooling on a used salt water engine?
QUOTE]

Personally I don't think you would ever get all the salt out of the block. I've read where people put CC on a salt engine and the coolant turned into brine from leaching the salt out of the block. I had a salt engine that I had the heads off for a month or so, and just the moisture in the air leached out a pyramid of salt about three quarters of an inch high around all the water passages. I had a picture of it, but it got lost when my last puter crashed.