PDA

View Full Version : OMC Ignition

need for speed
04-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Hey, I have been having this same old cut out problem on my 454 1993 omc king cobra . I am not 100% sure it is the Ignition modual but I think it is.She runs some days like a champ and then just cuts and dies, and most of the time starts back up but not every time , I have been a tow boats best friend.
I have all kinds of new parts... from inturupt switch,
fuel pump, fuel relay,alt,coil,wires,carb rebuit,rotor etc,, Not to many more parts to go. Before I change out the system on this motor. I was looking if anyone had any good ideas on what to do.... Or are sorce on THIS 3854230 omc part ....Not availible anymore!I have tryed all good souces online..Sea Way marine etc.. :fire: :crossfing

MOP
04-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Hey Charlie there should be a few in your area, maybe a kind soul will let you borrow one to try to see if it fixes the problem!

Phil / MOP

Dr. Dan
04-01-2004, 08:10 PM
:spongebob Charles....Try these guys
http://www.fasteddiesdiscountparts.com/default2.htm

I ordered some stuff today from them...they will convert the old part number to the Current Replacement Part....they have alot of stuff....ask fo Jessie Edenbeck(man) nice guy.

Hope they have what ya need...

:beer: Doc

need for speed
04-04-2004, 02:28 PM
No one has this modual... try every link and idea so far....

gcarter
04-04-2004, 02:30 PM
No one has this modual... try every link and idea so far....
Charlie;
I'd go after market. There's too many ignition systems and distributors on the market to let this get you down. Try a speed shop.
George

Bad-Tat
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Speed,
If you have the spitfire ign you can't get it tested or find parts easily. I changed mine to a Merc dist setup and solved the problem.

Brad Lyon
04-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Sounds similar to a problem I had with my ’93 OMC EFI. If you have dual batteries I would first swap them left for right. If that has no effect make sure your "keep alive" wire is not corroded somewhere or getting pulled and disconnecting when you make a turn etc. Just a couple of thoughts.

Brad

SouthernExposure
04-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Try Doug Russell Marine. I found the number you listed. It looks like you can purchase the parts separately but not as an assembly. I took a guess at the litre size of your 454.

SE

Hanker
04-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Had the exact same problem. we were running on a fairly rough day, and she started cutting out on me. I could usually start it again, and some times it wouldn't. My messing around with the wires around the ignition switch, would get her going again. But it kept getting worst.

I jumped the ignition, and thought that solved the problem, but it didn't. The problem ended up being a broken connector on one of the positive wires that runs common to every switch on the dash. I found it by starting the boat, and wiggling the wires. It was one of those double connectors, and it was just barely connecting, but would disconnect momentarily, and kill the engine. Actually, the spade connector was fractured.

My's a 92', and whenever you have a boat that age, you have to really inspect your wiring. I have seen some very bizzare symptoms from flakey wiring.

Good luck

Hanker
04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
forgot to mention;

Had to replace the relay on the fuel pump recently. The symptom was; you could start the engine, and it would run for a short time, then die. If it were intermittant, I believe it would behave much like you are describing.

The relays are cheap, and you can get them at any auto parts place (learned that from Jim). Believe me, try the simple stuff first. And that's coming from the guy who always thinks the worst (just ask poodle).

Dr. Dan
04-09-2004, 08:14 AM
:smash: Charles.....I was speaking to my Mechanic that is rewiring my dash and he had noticed that on my 22, they had wired the Trim Tabs to the Ignition...Breaker....instead of giving it a dedicated circuit.
:spongebob Which it will be getting, he suggested that this type of scenerio is not uncommon, but is not recommended because it could cause an overload that would shut your boat down. I immediately thought of you...so I thought I would pass this along.... :beer:
Resolution is installation of another Breaker for the Tabs...

Have a Good Holiday!

Doc :cool:

need for speed
04-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Ok my tabs will be getting fixed.. I will give that a try :wink:

thanks for thinking of me on that one!

need for speed
04-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I had always been towed in after my 22 just cutting out but since i replaced my inturrupt switch she has been runing much longer before cutting out and now when she or if she does cut out she has started back up ,, thank god.. used all my tow boat US for this year lol... so i am also thinking about what this my mean .. :confused: