PDA

View Full Version : Accepted Assembly/Removal of B3 props

Ranman
04-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Would someone explain the accepted procedure for removing and installing Bravo III/Blackhawk props? There is an inner and outer nut, right? What size are these and what do you use to remove/install them? Also, what is the torque spec for tightening and what is the "real world" way to tighten since I assume most do not use a torque wrench? Thanks.

Morgan's Cloud
04-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Can't speak to the BH drive but for the B3 you'll need the special tool from Merc for the front (VERY large) nut. It's a rather 'large' socket half inch drive I believe and it's also deep enough to go over the inner dirveshaft.You really need this thing ! Of course the rear nut is a little larger that you'll find in your standard toobox also and will probably need to invest in that also.
The thrust washer in the rear prop has a tendency to stick in place (in the prop) after a while but make sure that you don't misplace it as it's easier to loose track of than the front one.
Heavilly grease both shafts... can you imagine the fun of TWO frozen props on one drive ?
I don't normally have a nice big torque wrench around so I just lock the props up with a solid wooden wedge against the anti ventilation plate and tighten down to the point that I duplicated the effort by my knowledgable mechanic when he did it the first time.
Have'nt lost any propsets yet and they always come off nicely :cool!:

Is that of any help ?

Steve

Morgan's Cloud
04-01-2004, 11:53 AM
OH.... BTW

If your really anal you also orient the props so that when the front prop has one blade at TDC the rear prop has one at BDC :propeller

mattyboy
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
and make sure you put them on the right way if you put one on right and one on backwards all you got is nuetral!! :tongue: or if you put the righty on the lefty and vice versa then forwards is backwards and verse visa :eek:
hehehehe ;)

Matty :)
the april fool

ToonaFish
04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
TDC? BDC?

The Damned Center? Below the Damned Center?

Ranman
04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Top Dead Center and Bottom Dead Center, but you were close. :biggrin:

CDMA
04-01-2004, 01:19 PM
If they won't come off hit them with a bigger hammer.

:eek!:

blackhawk
04-01-2004, 02:08 PM
I use a large cresent wrench for the rear prop and the merc tool for the front. And the "lock-nut" for the front prop is tough! Get a good work out taking that one off.

Morgan's cloud, it is actually very important to "time" the props with one blade at tdc(12 o'clock) and one at bdc(6 o'clock), especially on the blackhawk.

Morgan's Cloud
04-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Morgan's cloud, it is actually very important to "time" the props with one blade at tdc(12 o'clock) and one at bdc(6 o'clock), especially on the blackhawk.

TRUE !..

It was from the instructions sheet for the BH that I gleaned that little nugget, so I apply it to the B3 too...

What's good for the goose .... :spongebob

Woodsy
04-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Randy...

What are YOU up to?? I know we are getting closer to the "3 weeks of bad sledding"!!

Woodsy Von Outboard