PDA

View Full Version : Most HP on registry.....

ChromeGorilla
03-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Think a blown BBC makes some HP check this puppy out! We're talkin nuclear reactor :nuke: And I've driven her.... :biggrin.: This is a pic of the USS Maryland SSBN 738 departing for patrol in 2000. I served on her from 98 to 02. My wife took this picture from Ft. Clinch on Amelia Island, FL. I have more pics but they are very large...enjoy. Have more pics if ya like....

SLV

Surfer
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM
Yeh, but can it pull a skier?

ChromeGorilla
03-31-2004, 03:05 PM
She's a little slow out of the hole but she could prob pull a couple thousand skiers....lol. :eek!: Go Navy! :flag-navy Heres another pic..

SLV

TMANN
03-31-2004, 06:35 PM
I spend a good bit of time in the San Juan Islands off Washington State and always love watching the subs come in the morning. The boats sure put there size in perspective. Must be quite an experience to be in one. Very Cool...

TMANN

McGary911
03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Now that's pretty cool. how much water does that thing need to run in? It looks close to the beach in your second pic.

Lenny
03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Cool, Tmann, I live about 10 minutes from where you were when you were here. But I am on the Canadian side. Nice to see you "know" this place... :) ...as I know your Clear Lake Shores, Kemah and Possum Kingdom. (and Seabrook Hooters :D )

Lenny
03-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Now, as to DONZI horsepower, single screw, I would have to bet Mr. Shabas has that one nailed... :D

ChromeGorilla
04-01-2004, 04:58 AM
You're right she is close to land.. the land in the picture is Cumberland Island, GA. And the land my wife is standing on is Amelia Island, FL. They keep the channel dredged to about 45' for the specific reason that these subs transit up and down the river as they come and go from their homeport of Kings Bay, GA. They are over 560' long and have a 44' beam and draft anywhere from 36'-38'. Displacement of 18,000 tons. And yes that is :nuke: the most powerful weapon in the world :nuke: Period.

Fish boy
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Most Donzi HP on Registry- Miss Judie, 3000+ HP, twin screw. Also sleeps 8 comfortably LOL

txtaz
04-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Hey CG,
I was in the navy also. Did a tour on a fast attack and a West Pac on a CGN. The CGN had 2 - 300 Mega Watt Westinghouse reactors and the gas turbine boats still had us on top speed. Plus it didn't take 24 hours to start up a gas turbine. Just press a button and your off. Talk about a waste of liberty, we got off 12 hours after everyone else on the boat and came back 24 hours earlier. AND that's if we had a long stay. We missed Hawii because we were there 3 days and didn't even shut down. So all stations manned in the engine room. I hear the wheather was nice. :lookaroun
But, I got an incredible education and a lifetime experience.
Good luck with your career.
Wes

ToonaFish
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Most Donzi HP on Registry- Miss Judie, 3000+ HP, twin screw. Also sleeps 8 comfortably LOL

Is Miss Judie your family's, um, big boat?... Could you tell us a little about her?

Bunches,

Celene 'not bumming a ride if Miss Judie is an eighteen'

Fish boy
04-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey Toona,
the Miss Judie is actually hull #1, and is the only one built with a kevlar reinforced hull. She is 65' long, has a beam of 18'7" and draws approximately 5ft.

She has twin 1692 turbo diesel engines generating a little over 1500hp each. Holds 2000 gallons of fuel, 350 gallons of water with its own desalination equipment capable of generating appriximately 50 gallons of freshwater daily. She burns approximately 125 gallons per hour at a cruise of approximately 28kts. TOp speed is just under 45mph which is prety sad since I am in the same ball park with my boat. Doh!

For more specific details, I included the specs from the brochure printed when the boat first came out. At the time, it was the fastest vessel of its size and class and really turned the yachting world upside down (as donzi should and typically does with their boats:) ).

The Donzi Tournament fishing boat is currently being built by Roscioli in Ft. Lauderdale. He is doing a fantastic job with the type of quality that is expected from the name Donzi. They are also building a 73', 58' and 80'.Donzi Tournament Fishermen (http://www.donziyachts.com/)

gcarter
04-06-2004, 08:16 AM
The one we were talking about several months ago was probably faster as it had about 7000 HP, but it's sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic.

George

ChromeGorilla
04-06-2004, 10:41 AM
That is alot of HP! But this puppy has enough power to provide electricity for a small city. Not revealing to much we're talking about around 60,000 shaft HP. :eek: Go Navy :flag-navy

gcarter
04-06-2004, 11:26 AM
That is alot of HP! But this puppy has enough power to provide electricity for a small city. Not revealing to much we're talking about around 60,000 shaft HP. :eek: Go Navy :flag-navy
So C.G., I suppose it could sit on the bottom of the Atlantic too!! :rlol:

George

ChromeGorilla
04-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Actually yes! And come back up! lol

ToonaFish
04-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Hey Toona,
the Miss Judie is actually hull #1, and is the only one built with a kevlar reinforced hull. She is 65' long, has a beam of 18'7" and draws approximately 5ft.{snip lots of good stuff}They are also building a 73', 58' and 80'.Donzi Tournament Fishermen (http://www.donziyachts.com/)

Wow, she is incredible. But how can anyone bring themselves to fish on these boats? They are just too beautiful to bloody...

Thanks for sharing the info!

Fish boy
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Toona,
there is a fine line between fishin and catchin. ;););) with one you have to really scrub the deck afterwards, the other, just stand on the deck and tell "big one that got away" stories. LOL :)

Fish