PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Fuel Guage is off...Help

Stan
03-29-2004, 11:36 PM
The guage on my 89 22 classic is funky. dosent read acurate...low fuel light stays on even with a full tank.

The problem is ??....dash guage or tank sending unit ? If its the sending unit where do I get a replacement?

Thanks

Stan....

Fish boy
03-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Stan,
what exactly is funky? Does the light just stay on and the gauge read accurately, or is the gauge also having problems? Does the gauge read anything at all? Are other gauges also acting up or is it just this one? Does it have factory wiring and gauges or has there been some work/replacements since new?

Fish

Stan
03-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Fish,

Good questions.....Low Fuel light stays on constantly.....gas guage reads full when the tank is not. Needle position ranges near the full to the half full range regardless of actual fuel levels. The needle does not bounce or move constantly, like its broken or a loose wire. Stock factory 1989 guages and wire. This is the only guage that is acting up

Thanks

Stan..........

Fish boy
03-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Stan,
I am not an expert, but your light and gauge problems may not nexessarily be related. First thing I would do is access the tank where the sending unit is located. Then remove the sending unit from the tank but leave the wires attached.

Move the sending unit back and forth and have someone look at the gauge to see if there is corresponding movement through the full range in the gauge. It is possible that gunk is preventing the bobber from achieving its full range of motion. You will also get an idea of whether the sending unit is bad if the gauge moves or does not move with the bobber movement on the sending unit. If it does not, then go to the next paragraph. If it dies, then go to the next paragrpah anyway.

Now would be a good time to strip a little wire off and redo the terminal ends that attach to the sending unit. Make sure you seal the connections with moisture resistant fittings, heat shrink, or liquid electrical tape. Also take a wire brush to the connections on the sending unit to ensure good clean contact.

Try plugging in the sending unit again and do the range of motion while someone looks at the gauge. See if this corrected the problem. If it did not, then the sending unit may be bad and need replacement. It is advisable to make sure the contacts are good anyway, so whether you keep your sending unit of replace you have invested time wisely in your wire end cleanup.

As for the fuel light, if you are getting a poor signal, then it may be corrected by your wire cleanup. See if this helps. Might also check the connections at the fuel gauge and fuel light end to make sure they are clean and well grounded. Wire brush and/or redo as necessary.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone who has recently had similar problems or has particular expertise may chime in with additional suggestions. As I said, I am not an expert, but have tinkered with boats a time or two.

Fish

MOP
03-31-2004, 04:40 PM
I would give checking the ground wire a shot also.

Phil

Stan
03-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I guess now I need to do some investigating work !

Thanks for the help once again.

Stan...... :spongebob

Murphy
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
As with all electrical work, disconnect the battery hot terminal beforehand. IN THIS CASE, DON'T EVEN TOUCH THE TANK SENDER UNTIL THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED. ONE SPARK AND.... :lightning While you have the sender off, put in a new gasket too.

You probably thought of this, but I wouldn't sleep well tonight unless I mentioned it.

Murph