PDA

View Full Version : water sking behind a classic 18

Roy
03-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Does anyone do any hard/ agresive watersking with an 18? just wondering about wake size with the deep v

HEMPEROR
03-29-2004, 02:20 PM
[size=4]hi Roy,
When My 18 Foot 2+3 Was New In 1969,and For Many Years After We Would Ski Very Aggresively Behind It And The Wake Was Not A Problem. By Aggresively I Mean Cutting Hard Enough To Where Your Shoulder Was 2 Feet From The Water. It Was Also When The Skis And Bindings Were Not Nearly As Advanced As They Are Today.we Also Barefooted Behind It And Were Good Enough To Cross The Wake! Nothing Fancy,no Sit And Spins, Backward Ect.basic Straight Ahead Stuff.
I Guess I Can't Speak For The Newer 18s 'cause I Don't Have One.
I Have Also Skiied Behind A Seadoo Pwc( And Barefooted) And The Wake Was Like Heaven Compared To The 18(the Wake Was Tiny), But.....we Never Complained As That Was All We Had!! I Think If You Can Master The Wake Ebhind An 18 It Makes You A Better Skier. It Would Be Like Practicing On A Wavey Day So The Smooth Days Are All That Much Easier. So You Kick Some Ass Behind The 18 Then You Ski Behind A Smaller Wake...i'm Sure You Get The Picture.i'd Be Curious As To Your Experience With The Wake.

Rodger
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I have skied hundreds of times behind a 16 and I think the wake is very similar to the 18. I can hold my aggressive cut all the way across the wake which is the best way to do it. You want to hit that wake with the edge of the ski. If you tend to staighten up just before entering the wake you'll feel it pretty strong. I can ski almost as aggressively behind the Donzi as I can behind my brothers Correct Craft. We also do plenty of barefooting behind the Donzi. No problem crossing the wake, even on 1 foot. Just keep those toes curled upward. Have fun!

DONZI
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Does anyone do any hard/ agresive watersking with an 18? just wondering about wake size with the deep v

I know of one crazy college kid who kneeboards behind them.As you can see the wake size really isn"t his main concern though. :wink:
Where is my buddy anyway ?

Surfer
03-31-2004, 07:47 AM
My 18 is used mostly for ski / wake / knee...a little big for serious ski, but great for kneeboard airs, and wakeboard, as poodle said you can dial in your wake of choice with your tabs.

gero1
03-31-2004, 08:33 AM
grew up skiing behind a 16 or18, cant rember but the wake was noproblem,you can shorten the rope a few feet to cross the wake in a better spot,we took out about 8-10 feet

RickSE
03-31-2004, 10:09 AM
I use 2 ropes, a 75' and a 100'. Use the 100' to get out of the wake.

Craig
03-31-2004, 11:36 AM
@ 225 lbs (+-), I can barefoot and slalom aggressively behind my 16 (even though its the Cobalt, it's popped from a Donzi 16, same shape, power, weight, etc - so acts the same).

I wake-board behind it too, but that's a little frustrating as it doesn't hold speeds in the upper teens very well pulling someone my weight. Probably lower pitch prop would help.

Also, on occassion, of we turn around in a tight cove with me on a slalom ski and I "whip way out" in the turn, the prop will slip to the point where I can't keep going.

Of course, when I say "way out" I mean "way out" like to where you're actually in front of the boat and the peak of the swing. Could probably fix this too with a lower pitched prop. It does this with my 14x23 cupped alum. prop.

Has anybody ever seen someone circle the boat on a slalom ski. That looks cool. Need a high enough pylon and a driver who knows what they're doing.
You probably actually need an inboard ski boat for this as they're probably the only thing that will turn tight enough to do it.

At the peak of the swing the driver cuts back hard in the opposite direction. It looks so cool!

Dax McDavid
03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
I Ski Behind My X-18 All The Time. If You Have Trim Tabs, Trim The Nose Down, It Will Flatten The Wake Down To Almost Nothing. Also Agree With Long Rope.

boldts
03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Used to own a 18' Classic with a stock 302 Ford and a Volvo 250 drive. No trim and no tabs. We did it all behind this boat including barefoot with no problems at all. Sorry, forgot 1 problem we always had, finding enough strength to get our butts back in the boat after a run! LOL Haven't skied behind our 22 Classic yet. Getting old I guess although with a 7 year old daughter, I'm sure it will come up very soon again. :smile: