PDA

View Full Version : question on changing drive unit oil

daboys
03-29-2004, 07:43 AM
I have been reviewing the manual on changing drive unit oil - I have Bravo one drives with gear lube monitor bottles in th engine hatch. I've drained system - including bottles, now the question:

where do I put the new lube in from, the manual reads "through the oil fill/drain hole...until an air free strem of lubricant flows from oil vent hole"

I usually ask my wife these kinds of questions but that another story - which hole is which? the diagrams show one hole/plug on the starboard side of the boot and another higher uo by the top of the drive head - I assume the top is the fill and the bottom is the drain but ant to confirm. Then I top her off with some lube to the bottles in the hatch right - thanks for all recomendations

Rootsy
03-29-2004, 07:57 AM
there should be a plug on the bottom side of the gearcase (housing with the propshaft in it) up toward the nose... you drain there and refill there... when draining remove the plug from the driveshaft housing (top hosuing of the sterndrive) after removing the one from the gearcase... this limits the mess...

you can purchase a little pump with a screw in adapter for the threaded hole so you don't make a mess when filling.. gonna take you about 2 or 3 quarts of merc hi-perf to fill her.

gold-n-rod
03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
there should be a plug on the bottom side of the gearcase (housing with the propshaft in it) up toward the nose... you drain there and refill there... when draining remove the plug from the driveshaft housing (top hosuing of the sterndrive) after removing the one from the gearcase... this limits the mess...

you can purchase a little pump with a screw in adapter for the threaded hole so you don't make a mess when filling.. gonna take you about 2 or 3 quarts of merc hi-perf to fill her.

Then what's the plug behind the prop (accessible when the prop is removed) for???

Goldnrod

Sam
03-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Like Jamie said buy the pump and make sure you use a good grade of lube like the Merc High Performance lube.

Sam

daboys
03-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Actualy went out to look at the lower drive unit and realized I was misinterpreting the drawing - read the posts, got the pump and replaced the oil with Mecr Quick... High performance. Thanks for the assistance

Rootsy
03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
sorry big dog... fruedian slip... i havn't changed oil in a bravo in a few years... but you are very much correct...

AND hey.. i have NEVER lost an alpha... KNOCKING ON THE BIGGEST PIECE OF WOOD I CAN FIND... and 99% of the ones i have put back together were the result of ummm collisions with land mines and sucked up garbage bags and dock lines...

JR - come on baby... hang together another season ;)

Air 22
03-29-2004, 07:57 PM
If your drive plugs don't have a little magnetic tip(nipple) on them get a set at Westmarine or Boatersworld etc. They pick-up little shavings etc...which is normal...if you see chunks then a "Bigger Problem" might be begining :eek!:
Atleast they give you an idea of a possible problem...hopefully preventing a total loss. Most Merc Bravo's come w/ them. A sound, cheap investment for preventitive maint... ;)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
I would like to add the little washers tend to harden or stick to the hole and deteriorate after time (where did it go as the fluid rushes out in the pan!).
They come new from Merc in a pack of 2 or 4 for about $1 to $2. I change mine out every time.
Bryan