PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder Problem

RedDog
03-28-2004, 06:46 PM
My in dash Hummingbird digit unit isn't working correctly. It powers up when keyed on but only registers depth sparatically. I cleaned and re-worked all wiring connections so I suspect it is the unit inself. Will call Hummingbird for service unless I hear a good idea here.

Are ther other dash gauges out there that would plug into the Hummingbird transducer cable?

Hummingbird HDR 200 - shoot thru the hull

Earlybird
03-28-2004, 07:18 PM
I would check the transducer, I know you can replace them farily easily. I had one on an older bassboat that had just been nicked a little bit and damaged it so I got the same results as you. Check out www.bassproshops.com, they have just about everything you could need for your unit.

RedDog
03-28-2004, 09:41 PM
To clarify, the transducer is in the bilge area and is a shoot thru. It may be bad but is not physically damaged....

roadtrip se
03-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Big Red.

I fight with my transducer all of the time. Make sure it it very well attached to the hull. If water gets in there, no worky.

Also, typically there is a master reset on the gauge its self. Find it and use it.

Also, check your wire. Chaffing or bending anywhere? Especially in the bilge where someone might have stepped on it.

Also, mine stops reading at high speeds due to air under the hull. Usually too busy worrying about other things at that time to worry about it.

Have fun with this one. I've got a few like it to chase down between now and May!

Todd

RedDog
03-28-2004, 09:56 PM
...Chaffing or bending anywhere? Especially in the bilge where someone might have stepped on it...

No way after rewiring the bilge pump 3 times just of late....

RedDog
03-28-2004, 10:12 PM
And assuming I must install a complete new system, what is the preferred method for mounting the transducer to the hull for a shoot thru? My current one is mounted in a mound of sealant of some type even though the owners manual says to secure with a bed of epoxy - seems extreme / permanent!

RedDog
03-29-2004, 06:22 AM
... Pour the epoxy in, level and bed the puck well...

what kind of expoxy should be used?

Air 22
03-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Poodle...Mineral oil works the same I believe.... It was required on my UNIDEN Depyh Finder... 2oz. between the puck and hull ...inside the puck housing. :smile: If just the right amount wasn't in there it gave erroneous readings at all speeds. Now that just 2oz. are in and I "TRY" to drive not "FLY" :eek: the Donzi it works great.... :moped: