PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

txtaz
03-28-2004, 02:40 AM
I have a 1990 18 Classic and am just getting used to it. The specs for a new one say an 41 gallon tank. My gauge read 1/2 and I put 30 gallons in it. Anyone know what the actual specs for the tank is? Also, I ran the boat for hours and the engine temp only got to 115 to 120. Seems cool to me. Is this normal?
Thanks, Wes

olredalert
03-28-2004, 09:11 AM
-------Can only give you a little help on your tank question. Although you may have a 60 gallon tank of some sort the chances are that your guage is measuring eraticly. I think everyone here will more or less back me up when I say "dont trust a marine fuel guage!". It seems that I remember Ted having a lot to do with this boat so it might be a good thing to see what info he has for you on the tank capacity. Hope this helps...............Bill S

MOP
03-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Wes you should be in the 160-170 range with the temp, which brings a question to mind. Just for the hell of it check you gauge grounds, the low temp and gas readings may be related. One of the easiest tests is to hook up a long wire to the dash ground, turn on the ignition check gauge reading then attach the wire direct to the negitive on the battery. Any change in the readings indicate a poor ground. The poor ground can be forward or the main harness ground at the block. A good practice is to clean all grounds each and every season, I coat mine with battery terminal protection spray.

Phil / MOP

txtaz
03-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Phil, you are the man. We just got back from the lake where I freaked out when oil pressure hit zero. It may be the gauges and ground problems, but when I noticed the pressure we were WOT and doing 60 mph. Yesterday it was 65 mph and plenty of throttle left. So it seems to me there may be a problem.
Since I don't know the engine year, I think I should take the boat to a shop and have the ECM scanned to check for actual hours, year and have the engine and outdrive gone over. We plan on using the boat alot this year and just want to make sure it is safe and reliable.
So far we are loving it and get tons of attention. I sort of expected some mechanical problems with a boat with so few hours.
Thanks again,
Wes and Jennifer
P.S. Jennifer is now known as BOAT MOMMA. She has learned all the important things that make a boat run and all the gauges. Once she gets past 50 (MPH that is), I guess it's safe to call her BOAT SUPER MAMMA.