PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Occurrence on the Lake Today

RedDog
03-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Went for a run down the lake with the family today - great run and great weather. On the way home I noticed a jetski floating free. I stopped and pulled out the binoclurs and noticed some old couples on a deck boat trying to fish something out of the water with a boat hook. Turned out to be a kid face down. I towed the jetski in to the closest marina and met the rescue and police. The kid was alive - but has to be in critical condition. No one saw what happen or just how long he had been down. This was really upsetting to me but I can't imagine how the folks who found him first feel.

Scott Heidt
03-27-2004, 07:38 PM
The good thing is that there were good people like that couple and yourself to help out! Safety Safety Safety!

Hope the rest of your weekend is a good one!

ChromeGorilla
03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Wow, as someone who owns a high performance PWC this one hits close. While I consider myself an expert and it's a very sobering thought that sometimes bad things just happen whether it was the operators fault or not. My wife always tells me she gets nervous sometimes when I ride because of the high speeds I operate at and I usually just say "yea yea", but the next ride I take this will definately be in the back of my head. So my thoughts and prayers are with this young man and his family tonight....

SLV

MOP
03-28-2004, 07:49 AM
My prayers go out to the young fellow!

No offense I know many of our members, friends and my family members have jet ski's! Personally I have gotten to hate them, I have seen two bad hits over the past few years one adult and one kid both hurt very bad. I have ridden them myself and they are fun, but most all that ride seem to think they are invincible and go past the margin. Many of us have had real close calls. My brother was head of security for Robins Island, one afternoon while coming back to the main land and old Geezer in his late 70's hit the Islands patrol boat while jumping its wake. Neither the captain nor my brother saw him coming, just heard a big thump. They fished him out of the water unconscious got him to shore, he was rushed to the hospital. They thought end of story, they felt like heros not so they ended up being the villains. The island is owned by a very wealthy guy and you guessed it the old bugger sued, in court he swore the boat cut him off the only witness did not show so he won a huge settlement..

RedDog
03-30-2004, 12:38 PM
He didn't pull through - high school senior

"Ironically, Jesse Smith's parents bought the craft because they thought it would be safer than their son's previous devotion to motorcycle racing."

BLACKIE
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Red, you have got to be feeling poorly today after hearing this. You just cannot be to carefull no matter what you are doing on the water. My heart goes out to the family. I am as you are a father, I even have grandchildren now and I know how I would feel if it were my son or grandson. My prayers are with them.

How are you doing?

Did this happen on the river where we test drove the 18' last fall?

RedDog
03-30-2004, 01:00 PM
How are you doing?

Did this happen on the river where we test drove the 18' last fall?

Even though all was out of my hands, I still feel like crap about it. My 16 year old was with me and just happens to be playing a soccer match today against the kid's school.

Happened the far end of the lake, 1/4 - 1/2 mile up from the dam.

Fish boy
03-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Reddog,
I am really sorry to hear about this tragedy, and that it hit close to home for you and your son. If there is anything any of us can do, we are here for you.

Fish

Sport
03-31-2004, 08:46 AM
As a X professional watercraft racer myself, it is always tragic to hear of any accidents on the water. I certainly hope he pulls through. As Scott said SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY. I'm just glad others were around to assist his guy.

Sport