PDA

View Full Version : Took chunk out of skeg

txtaz
03-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Of all things, I swear. I cannot beleive it. Grrrrrrrrrrr....
I have owned boats for 30 years and have never hit the outdrive on anything. Now here I am out on a 90' deep lake and hit something that wasn't visible and took a chunk out the leading edge of the skeg. Does anyone have tips on repairing skegs?
Thanks, Wes

MOP
03-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Wes you have only a few choices, welding, Skeg Guard or living with it. The Skeg Guard is probably the easiest, just slips over the exsisting skeg.

http://www.skeggard.com/

Phil / MOP

Digger
03-27-2004, 04:04 PM
don't feel bad Wes. Hell if you made it 30 yrs without hitting anything then you were overdue anyway. It happens. good luck with the fix.

txtaz
03-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, it looks like I'm going with the skeg gaurd. I took a pretty good chunck out of the skeg. Such a shame with a brand new outdrive. On the bright side, the boat is awsome and runs great. I've put 10 hours on it already and the misses approves and loves it. She even wants to learn to drive it. I wonder why she never wanted to drive the other boats. Yaaaahhhhh. I should have bought one sooner.
I'm still getting compfortable with the performance. I have only had it to 65. It felt like it had a lot more to go but the engine hasn't been run much and the injectors are probably a little gummed up. So hi octane and injector cleaner are in order. Plus who knows how old the fuel in it was.
Anyway, great day on the lake in a great boat.
Thanks again, Wes

RedDog
03-27-2004, 06:31 PM
A orop shop or boat repair shop can eazily weld a new skeg on for probably the same cost of the skeg guard.