PDA

View Full Version : The adventure begins....

penbroke
03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
The great fuel tank debacle has begun. :eek!:

Frank

Bad-Tat
03-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Oh Oh not another fuel tank!!!

mphatc
03-26-2004, 09:11 PM
COOOL

Let us all know how it progresses.

FWIW, I have Patriot Marine in NJ building a new fuel tank for the Corsican. Price shortly! A bit delayed with work requirements and a vacation to warm sunny Puerto Rico!

from memory my new tank is 22" wide and 70" long, it will be identical to the original tank in the forward section, but lots longer towards the rear.

Mario

mattyboy
03-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Frank ,
good luck with the project, I know this boat is in good hands, just make sure it is ready for the dustoff ;) :)
if you need a hand just call,
and if it is rainy at the dustoff I'm riding with you the winshield cuts out alot of rain drops in the face :) ;) :tongue:

Matty

RedDog
03-26-2004, 11:37 PM
... and if it is rainy at the dustoff I'm riding with you the winshield cuts out alot of rain drops in the face ... Matty

Matty - the 16 is for sell, you like windshields, so are you getting old or is there a deeper problem I shouldn't ask about ;)

penbroke
03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
The adventure continues....

Frank

mattyboy
03-28-2004, 07:15 AM
coming along nicely Frank,
did you find the mfg's tag on the old tank??? is it a 25 or a 23???
I'm a little confused what is the front lift ring attached to on an 18????? how did you lift the deck with the lift ring still installed???
keep us posted

Red, I just appreciate the windshield at 50mph on a rainy day in June on lk george, and the 16 will be around another season or 2 ;)

Matty

BERTRAM BOY
03-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Frank,
Look for numbers written on the stringers. Sometimes on the port side stringer, most likely facing the outside.

penbroke
03-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Mario: I would be interested in the details of your tank and Patriot Marine. I am intending to lengthen mine as well but not as far.

Matty: The original steel tank is 25 gal. made by Fabco dated 3-8-66. The bow lift eye is attached to a bracket on the frontmost bulkhead. I unbolted the bracket from the bulkhead 'cause it was easier at the time.

Cliff: The only new number I found was an "18" upside down on the front side of the front bulkhead. There are NO digits following it. There is LOTS of writing all over but I can't read any of it. I am going to play with different light sources and the camera. I was going to paint the entire inside of the hull but now I think not.

Frank
Anybody need 50 lbs. of gas soaked foam?

mphatc
03-28-2004, 07:10 PM
looks just like mine . . . though mine was unpainted galvanized steel

BTW, You have mail Penbroke!

Mario

penbroke
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Cliff: The only new number I found was an "18" upside down on the front side of the front bulkhead. There are NO digits following it.

Could it be hull 18???

Frank

penbroke
07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
First is the new tank and the 270 transom shield. The rear tank bulkhead was moved back 11'' to allow for a 35 gallon capacity. This also allows access to the tank outlet and does not interfere with the storage well. The 270 transom shield required some enlargement of the 200 cutout.

Second shows new oil pump and timing chain/gears. I ended up modifying a stock Cloyes setup to accomodate the crankshaft weight and the fuel pump eccentric.

Third shows the new vibration damper installed. The ears had to be cut down to fit. Upon closer examination the original one had been cut the same way. This one is good for up to 325 hp. I changed out the block core plugs as well.

Fourth shows the Cobra returning to the nest. New last spring was starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, rebuilt raw water pump, hoses, belts, etc. and all the usual tune-up stuff.

Fifth shows the new fuel filter and shutoff. I ran the fuel line down the inside of the stringer to allow access from the storage well.

Sixth shows the deck back on awaiting the installation of what seemed like thousands of screws (yes I drove them all by hand) and the drive. The 200 drive does fit and work on the 270 transom shield but the reverse catch from neither one will work with this combination. That's a fabrication project for next week. Over this winter I will tear down the 270 drive to swap the gears and be sure all is in good shape.

Last shows the combo electric/sight gage showing thru the hole in the floor for the viewing glass. It is offset to allow the removal of the gage/float thru the hole for service.

Not shown is a bit of transom/stringer rot repair that was not really expected but when you open the can....

With the exception of some help cranking the come-alongs up and down to keep things even and some help cranking the engine hoist I did all the work singlehandedly. I think my wife was starting to wonder if it would ever be done. I am gratefull for her patience.

It wasn't always fun and it wasn't always pretty but it's back together. It floats. It runs.

Frank

Lenny
07-05-2004, 08:52 PM
very nice...it looks GREAT :D

mattyboy
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
friggin a bubba,
nice work Frank
so we will be seeing at the fall picnic !!!

Matty

MOP
07-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Real nice looks super, hope to see it in person.

Phil

Donzigo
07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
This is one of the cleanest and nicest jobs of this type I have seen on the Registry. It's impressive.

Did your fuel tank builder make the tabs on the top for you?

penbroke
07-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the compliments. They mean a lot comming from this pool of experience.

Dinzigo: The tank was built by RDS to my drawings. So, yes they provided the tabs. They were great to work with and the cost was quite reasonable. Another board member is converting my AutoCAD drawings to something I can post here in the tank thread.

Matty: Fall picnic looks good! I was installing the motor when you guys were running the Dust Off your boats.

Phil: Fall picnic, Lake George. Get that rig wet!

Frank

hardcrab
10-02-2004, 07:47 AM
i also had i new fuel tank made by RDS mfg. specific to my drawings. i dealt with Ray Veal, the quality of the service, materials, and construction were all first rate. this is a highly recommended source for custom manufacturing. they are located in perry, fla. [850] 584-6898

JaxOutlaw
06-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I understand this is an old thread but are those CAD files floating around anywhere. I am about to do the same thing (replace tank) and those would save a lot of time.....

mattyboy
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
try www.donzi.org go to the side navigation bar click on restoration parts then click on retro fit 18 gas tank there is a drawing there

with links to a couple of tank mfg'rs

JaxOutlaw
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
try www.donzi.org (http://www.donzi.org) go to the side navigation bar click on restoration parts then click on retro fit 18 gas tank there is a drawing there

with links to a couple of tank mfg'rs

thanks for the link...

Tony
06-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Awesome job, Frank...engine looks great, too.
I'm familiar with some of what you went through, but the end product is always very satisfying.
Let us know how you like the 270 compared to the 200, other than the obvious ability to trim!

:beer: