PDA

View Full Version : Tampa/St.Pete Donzi owners

boldts
03-26-2004, 06:46 PM
I received the following e-mail today. So, I'm passing it on to you Florida Seadogs and or maybe Mike Miller looking for a place to gather?

Hello Scott
My name is Tony Sapp , i'am the Dockmaster here at Tampa Marriott.I would like to host an event for your boat club . Please email me or call 813-314-1006 for more info .
Thanks Tony
E-mail at: Tony.Sapp@marriott.com

Team Hula Girl
03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
boldts,

Thanks for posting the info. I have spoken with him a number of times. I am probably at that Marriot at least once a week. This is a great place to have a meeting/party/function. Tony appears to be a nice guy and very accomodating. The Tampa Bay is a great area to have a get together or small/large scale poker run. I would be more than willing to try and put something together if there was enough interest. Hell, I would even swing for the cost of some prizes.

J Mitchell :beer:

Scott Heidt
03-28-2004, 10:02 AM
That would be awesome! The Marriott would be perfect! We need to make this happen! If I can help out let me know! The big question is when. If it is to be a big affair, it would seem that picking a date is going to take some planning so we don't have any conflicts with other events and give members time to make plans.

If we make it an informal gathering (Boat DRINKS at the MARRIOT in two weeks) or something like the turn out at Mount Dora then I think we could do it sooner. Just some thoughts. Lets get some discussion and make it a reality.

Let's do it!

Budmann
04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
You know you can count on Budmann and Fishboy. We would love to do something that. I tcould mirror the Sarasota gig. Put it together and I'll be there with bells on.

pmreed
04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, just Tampa/St. Pete Donzis? Didn't we Central Floridians invite you fellas to Mt. Dora? We're miffed :wink: .

Phil

pmreed
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
PS: Budmann, you didn't end up with an extra fender last weekend, did you?:confused:

Phil

Last Tango
04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
John,
Since you are there frequently of late, pick a date, get us a group rate, don't hesitate, whatever's on my plate, I'll eliminate!

MikeMiller
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
If we were to say, hypothetically, have the Hometown Rally in Tampa, would the little Classic family members have a cow if we cross the the Bay going south (like they did a few years ago)? :puke:

I love the idea of a new place, as long as there is a good long run somewhere! There are certainly enough restaurants and stuff.

Maybe we can find a long run north from there, I just don't know.

Give me your thoughts. Either way, the Hometown Rally lives on and I can't wait to do it again!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Heidt
04-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Think we need to move this thread and change the name. I think it was named this to get the Donzi owner's in the area to start planning this event.

Also this would be totally apart from the Sarasota Rally in the fall. My suggestion, and it is only a suggestion would be to hold it the weekend of the Sarasota Offshore races. The races are, I think a three day affair.

That way the runs to the races would be of ample distance on both days to really run the boats. I am sure we could work out good rates at the Marriott in Tampa as suggested. The dockage is nice. The night life is great and close by (YBOR/ CHANNELSIDE). Both are a walk or a trolley ride away.

The only thing to iron out would be trailer parking for the out of town people. I will check on the dates for the Sarasota Off shore races!

I really want to make this happen.

Scott Heidt
04-01-2004, 06:39 PM
August 27, 28, 29, 2004! :)

http://www.4sarasota.com/offshore/sarasota_offshore.html

Everyone check your calendars!

KRAVEN
04-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Liz and I just bought a place in St.Pete and will be closing on April *th.We will be in St. Pete May 2nd thru 9th.Please keep us informed . :biggrin:

BUIZILLA
04-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm in.

J :shades:

Last Tango
04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Mike,
I would think that whatever you plan and wherever you plan it, it will be exciting. Since you are now in Orlando, what about a redo of the FIRST Hometown Gathering at the Portofino? We make it October or early November. Thursday is arrival day and maybe a simple gathering that evening in the piazza. Stage the boats and trailers for an all-day boat show on Friday. Friday night we party a little and give out some trophies. Saturday we all trailer out to Mt. Dora and do the lakes, Dora Canal, and Dead River Vics. Saturday night we return to Portofino for the big bash or over to the restaurants and clubs by boat taxi (like last time) at Universal Studios.
For those who want an extended "run" we can do the locks and canals to the St. Johns River and run them all the way to Bermuda if they have the gas, the time, and the balls to try it (I have none of the above ).
Regardless, I did look at the website for the Mariott Waterside in Tampa and it looks like a fine place to gather the SEADOGs for a weekend. How close is the launch ramp, and will there be parking for cars and boat trailers at the hotel?
And I agree that maybe we are running two ideas together here and need to separate them.

Scott Heidt
04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/TPAMC

Here is the marriott link.

The closest boat ramp is about 15 min from the Hotel on Davis Island. I have been thinking of the trailering logistics. The Marriot uses an adjacent parking garage for parking. I will look into finding secure parking for the trailers.

What does everyone think about the August dates that coincide with the offshore races in Sarasota?

boldts
04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
"would the little Classic family members have a cow if we cross the Bay going south (like they did a few years ago)?"

Mike, come on man. I personally take offense to that remark! Took my 18 across the Bay. I saw, I conqured like many times before only on Lake Erie's fresh waters. Had to tighten a few rub-rail screws afterwards, but that is what Donzi boats were built to do! I enjoyed the H*** out of that run! All I remember is seeing the blue stripe on a certain Criterion and following it back to Sota. I felt like the Don that day in a race to the Keys and back! :checkered

Looking forward to maybe spending some time in FL again.

Last Tango
04-02-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm wide open in August. Please plan it near the beginning if possible. We SEADOGs have a major event Labor Day Weekend, and I don't want them too close together, so we will draw more folks and thye don't have to "choose."

Dr. Dan
04-02-2004, 02:29 PM
:cool: :spongebob Early August...the weekend of the 14th, might bring the Atlantic Coast Crew :rlol: down...?

We are not doing the Thunder On The Bay Run this year with Jacksons....which would normally be a conflict schedule wise....

Winnie is the weekend of July 31st...so it would be cool to have a 2 week spread...but it is what it is :spit:

1000 Isles is the same weekend as the Sarasota Races...26 to 29th of August...

This is something to think about...Hmmmmmmmmmm? :beer:

:wavey: Doc

florida gator
04-03-2004, 07:31 PM
I've stayed there several times. Really nice place and has one of the nicest sorts bars in the area also. Last time I was there they were installing the boat access. I would be all over a trip to there. Maybe even a run over to the Pier one day.

Donzigo
04-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Scott, the closest boat ramp is on the south side of Davis Island, maybe 1,500 yards from the Marriott Hotel. It's a very nice ramp, too. John Mitchell uses it all the time. A good run from the Tampa area might be to the St. Pete Pier or to Bahai Beach in Ruskin, for lunch. It can get rough, crossing Tampa Bay, though.

Scott Heidt
04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
No Fear Donzingo! :) The real challenge is to come up with a secure place for everyone's trailer that is also convienent. The Mariott Waterside, I don't believe could accomodate the trailers.

Anyone with ideas please put your two cents in. I am checking with friends that may have the space. One would be off adamo about 15 min away. He buys and sells heavy equipment, boats, and, large trucks. His lot is large and fenced in.

It would be really cool to get a large group down to Tampa, but what ever the size of the group everyone I'm sure would have a blast. Scheduling, I can see this may be difficult. My thought is to plan a gathering around some event (ie. boat race.) The Tampa Offshore races are scheduled for Oct 15- 17, but that is so close to the Hometown Rally in Sarasota. I still like the August 27th-29th Sarasota Race Date.

:checkered