PDA

View Full Version : Lift Eyes

Eugene Nahemow
03-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Has anyone come up with a bracket which doesn't need to be bolted thru the transom for the lift ring?

Or is this the only way?

Formula Jr
03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Thats really the only way to get to "connective tissue" for safely lifting the boat on one stern ring. The ring "floats" through the deck and in boat speak, "finds the hard" on the transom. And you can't lift it by just deck mounting the ring no matter how much you back the ring. You could also lift it with two U bolts on the transom but use very stout U bolts thru the transom with backing plates and angle them in the direction of the lift with a Vee yoke to your lifting cable. The first thing I ever do to a new boat is add transom rings if they are not there already. They should just come that way cause eventually, someone will trailer the boat. And I would say that these rings are Necessary to do that safely. Never depend on just the bow bolt to trailer a boat. You need it's ass in a sling. :cistineb:

Eugene Nahemow
03-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Transom eyes are always a must when trailering.
I have seen too many accidents due to a boat being connected only at the bow eye.

I was looking for any other possibilities for the aft deck lifting eye.
Stringer mount or engine block possibilities?

MOP
03-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Gene I have seen them tied into the stringers with long bars, the engine would be a bad place in my estimation. Was wondering why you want to switch? I have seen a lot of boats hanging on the eyes with the same basic setup, it works very well, beats the heck out of using a lift cradle setup.

Phil

Eugene Nahemow
03-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Phil,
The only reason was so I didn't have 3 thru bolts in the transom. When you have everthing re-gelled it hurts to drill more holes than necessary.
But, I guess there really is no other way.
Thanks for the replys.

MOP
03-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Phil,
The only reason was so I didn't have 3 thru bolts in the transom. When you have everthing re-gelled it hurts to drill more holes than necessary.
But, I guess there really is no other way.
Thanks for the replys.

No pun intended but if you want to get anal with it add a couple more holes to the bracket drill through the transom. Counter sink the holes fairly deep, enough so the heads of the counter sunk bolts are set about 1/8" in dab in thinned west system insert and tighten bolts in new holes. Now remove the originals and counter sink the holes, again dab with west insert and tighten bolts. Now you can grind the area lay 3-4 layers of glass over it, grind it, fair and gel it. and Walla no more holes. I've done hidden hinges for transom doors and various bolts holding stuff inside the transom area on a few boats, me I like the shiny mess showing, give me hoses, rings, water pickups, rams, tabs, all sorts of indicators :yes: and Double Props! Aaah To Die For! "Not" that I will get that far on mine but I can enjoy looking at the other members boats. And for that matter any cool machine whether it flies, crawls, floats, digs, climbs what ever!

Old farts and thier Toys are no different than Boys with thier Toys :biggrin: :biggrin: