PDA

View Full Version : Pick The Prop

slick
03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I need help in picking the best all-a-round prop for a 96 22' Classic, my winter project boat. I bought this boat at auction in rough form. Repowered and water tested, it floats and runs but can run alot better with the right prop. I have searched for threads on props and learned alot but need the benifit of your imput, the people who have tested many different sizes on their 22 Classics. Brands are not the most important subject to consider but rather the correct size. I do plan on attending the AOTH at cumberland and know that if Turbo comes they bring a ton of test props, however I would like to know from experience the Right One to start with. Before repower 5.7L small block with Bravo I running 21 pitch prop four blade. Now, 454 mag mpi with intercooled procharger same Bravo I Drive. Help me pick the Prop. Thanks

Greg K
03-26-2004, 12:14 PM
My recommendation is going to be a 27" Turbo 1 :checkered

boldts
03-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Slick, hope to meet and see your Classic at AOTH this year. Turbo will be at the gathering along with props for us to try. They've also got a few new props to be tested by the BIG HP engined guys. I guess it also depends on what your looking for with the boat. Many here like the Hydromotive 4 and 5 blade props because of the stability these props offer at high speeds. I'm figuring you'll be in the high 70's to low 80's with that engine and a ProCharger? The more blades, the more comfortable the boat may be at those speeds.

smoothie
03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Slick,
Most likely you will end up with a couple different props,one for speed and one for comfort,Most prop shops are good about the try and buy plan,and can get you what ya need first shot if you have some good no's for them to work with like rpm,mph and pitch of the prop that your running now,BTW nice cig in the back ground. :yes:

roadtrip se
03-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Slick,

Most of my props are fixed, big shaft XR hubs or I'd say try them all at AOTH.
I do have a labbed 29 Mirage three blade with the flo torque hub that you can try there, if you can bring a standard shaft adapter.

As Scott said, I have been running four and five blade hydros.

I have tried several p5 props, but haven't bought one yet, because they are a lot of cash. They do accelerate like a dragster, which would probably rock on your boat. The new p5X comes in smaller pitches and less aggressive rake, than the p5, so I may try it again. I have noticed that these props put much more load on the drive and engine. I have tested 30, 27, and 26 inch pitches.

I own two Hydro Q4 props in 27 and 28 pitch. They both run well across all ranges on the boat. More bite, more grip, more acceleration, no lean,
little less top end, and no surprises. The "wife pleasers" as Jill calls them.

I did try the three blade TXP turbo prototype at AOTH last year and it did hold promise. Haven't see the finished version yet.

Throttle-Up has a great testing program for guys like us by the way!

Let me know how I can help out as you try to get your boat propped right!

Todd
"Is that a big pitched prop? Sure I'll try it!"