PDA

View Full Version : Z 32 vs 3250 LXC

closetbiker
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Can anyone tell me the differences from the early 3250LXC's to the current
Z32 series boats? I recently put a deposit on a 1997 LXC and am looking for information such as magazine tests, performance, etc. Boat is equipped with 7.4's and Bravo III drives. Can anyone help out? :lookaroun

Thanks,

Steve

Last Tango
03-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Steve,
I owned a 2000 Z3250 Daytona for two years. It was the only "Daytona" ever built by the factory. At my marina there were three 3250LXC's. The blue one had 7.4's but they were the 330 HP versions and he had Bravo 3 out drives. The Green one had 7.4's also the 330HP version and V-drives. The Black one had 7.4's with 385 HP and V-drives. My Red one had 7.4 MAG MPI's (385HP) and Bravo 1's with Mirage Plus 23P SS props, trim tabs, and a complete checklist of everything Donzi could stuff in it for options. My boat ran right near 60 MPH at 4500 RPM. Although, the others had similar shapes, the cockpit configurations were almost all different as was the opening in the rear for entering the cockpit. I was also familiar with 3 other 3250LXC's in my area and their configurations were also a diverse selection of engines, drives, and cockpit layouts. There was also a Z32 SS offered by the factory in 2001. I know a couple were built. They also had a mix of HP and drive configurations. Those SS models are easily identified by their tubular stainless steel radar arch instead of the flat fiberglass arch of the others. Production ended quietly about two years ago when nobody ordered any more so none were built. The molds and some half-started hulls were still sitting around the factory grounds the last time I was there.
My boat was totally unique, so you need to tell me what you are looking for specifically regarding the boat you want to purchase. As always, Donzi personalized each boat so there are probably no two exactly the same. It would be a rare boat dealer indeed who would have ordered one on "spec" for his showroom.
Several other boat manufacturers continue to build clones of the 32. Keep in mind that ProLine also built essentially the same boat through Donzi (or was it the other way around?) and at the same time.

hankhank
01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
1. gallons per hour at cruise with 454s?
2. are 454s fresh water cooled?
3. construction quality of boats (i've read concerns of hull blisters/cracks)
4. any opinion as to value of a 2000 z3250ss (the boat is in good cosmetic condition)
5. what did you like about the boat/what didn't you like about the boat

Last Tango
01-30-2005, 07:44 PM
1. about 20 GPH at 45mph as I recall. I was never willing to go that slow for long though! HAHAHA.
2. I retrofitted closed cooling at a cost of about $3.5k
3. never any problems with hull blisters or cracking of any surface.
4. Don't pay over $100k for any 2000 Z3250, including sales tax and Documentation. Your insurance company will probably want the boat documented by the Coast Guard since you have access to international waters.
5. AWESOME party boat, day cruiser, overnighter, weekender. I never took any major trips with mine. At 3300 RPM expect about 220 miles on the 200 gallons of gas. Head is largest and roomiest and best headroom of ANY boat in this size. Believe me, because I have shopped just about every possible powerboat in this range. Shower big enough for two if you are so inclined.
6. Don't run the port side tank dry. It feeds your generator. My boat consistently pulled gas from the port side faster than the starboard tank. Seems to be common. Tanks are cross-fed by a valve system on the upper leading edge of the engine compartment access.
Z3250 is expensive to own and maintain. My insurance was about $2,400 a year, Major engine service was $1,500 a year, bottom paint $1,000 a year, slip fee was $350 a month for 12 months a year, and gas was $500 a fill up.!!! Lots of niggling little things go wrong with a boat that age and complex. Expect to pay...