PDA

View Full Version : David's engine (requested by MOP)

Donzigo
03-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Here's the pics, MOP.

5.7 Vortec
special manifold something
special cam something
roller rocker somethings
longer valve rods somethings
some other stuff I don't unerstand
Stainless exhausts & risers

The builder thinks it produces about 300 HP, maybe more?

MOP
03-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Would have said thanks sooner but had to check pics, I,m hoping my experiment turns out well. His boat looks a lot like mine, it came with the factory Merc Tempest. I do like the SB's, it is probably the main reason I bought the boat. I knew it was for sale for quite awhile but thought it had a BB, when I found out different I grabbed it. Thanks for the Lightning quick response!

Phil / MOP

Badscrambler
03-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Where did you get that intake for the Vortec? What improvements did you see? Thanks

MOP
03-25-2004, 08:36 AM
The Vortech is just a different bolt pattern, My guy and I would think many others have the jig to drill the heads to accept the old style on the V heads.

Rootsy
03-25-2004, 09:22 AM
this not always a win win situation..

#1 YES you can drill the intake to bolt it to a pair of GM vortec cylinder heads..

#2 THE PORTS will not match up.

vortec intake ports are tall and narrow when compared to the age old standard sbc cylinder head port. THEREFORE when you do this intake swap you will have a significan discontinuity at the transition from intake to cylinder head. you can blend this to an extent but you better watch running out of material to remove. on some intakes you also run a serious risk of a vacuum leak because the intake didn't cover the entire vortec port. just things to be aware of when doing this swap... i;ve seen it a couple of times

it is a better and far more efficient practice to just pony up the extra 50 or 60 bucks and get the proper intake manifold. edelbrock makes vortec manifolds and so does gm just to name a few.

you can also buy vortec heads from GM Perf Products that now accept larger diameter springs and something like .550 valve lift. they run about 100 bucks more / pair than the standard heads. check out summit racing for they carry them.

Blewbyu
03-26-2004, 01:49 AM
During a conversion of a 5.7 Vortec into a Range Rover two years ago,found that GM did make the Vortec 4bbl manifold-but seemed to want to keep it a mystery.It wasn't in any of GM parts lists at the time, but we found it thru ferreting out some guy in GM Perf Prod. who knew where they were.Price was only $10 more than the non-Vortec manifold.Soooo-don't dispair if you don't find it on the net.Persistence pays. :hyper: