PDA

View Full Version : Experience with GLM manifolds

raritan
03-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Anybody have any experience with the GLM Aluminum Manifolds??? The price seems very good if they work.

MOP
03-24-2004, 10:53 PM
A few of the members have gotten them but don't think anyone is up any running. Check with Murphy and tha HM, not sure who else.

MOP

Murphy
03-24-2004, 11:31 PM
I've ordered them for my SBC. It's an 86 and I figure it's time to replace the manifolds and risers anyway. Dennis Moore put his name on them and that goes a long way with me. They added internal exhaust channels that separate the pulses, not a fully tubed system, but better than stock. Going from a 3" to 4" system will flow better. The loss of 200 lbs can't hurt. This boat will never see salt water as long as I own it. The price is certainly right. I should receive them in a few days and can give you a visual quality report at that time. I've got some other Spring mods in mind, but will run them before changes to see if there's any noticable change in performance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Murph

Cuda
03-25-2004, 06:07 AM
I bought a set of the cast iron manifolds. Right after I bought them, I found a set of EMI hard anodized aluminum manifolds, so I put them on my engine instead. The GLM's appear to be better castings than either stock merc or oscos. I always run a file across the riser flange to be sure it's true. The Glm's were perfectly flat, and I have filed quite a bit of metal off Merc's before.

Rootsy
03-26-2004, 08:24 PM
well i ordered a set of GLM aluminums for my mouse tonight... aluminum manifolds ONLY to be used with my imco M72 SS risers... i am mainly in it for the weight savings... if i wanted ultimate performance i'd go a full tubular header route... besides other than getting anyone to ask for a credit card number you cant get any other numbers out of them :mad:

i was considering running a back to back comparison on this... keep my stock cast iron on the 16 and run her with the new prop and steering and then swap to the GLM's and see how it goes... but the weight difference will skew the true data... if i really get a bug up my ass i might just pull the motor and run her on the dyno this summer... i have a gentlemen who supplies a lot of my engine parts whom has a portable land & Sea engine dyno. The cooling water is supplied out of a drum through a cooling tower and heat exchanger.. it just dumps out on the ground after that so wet exhaust is NO issue.. you can get roughly 4 pulls from a 55 gallon drum... so 2 pulls with the cast iron and 2 with the GLM... OR OR OR if anyone else is interested in loaning me say SM, IMCO, EMI, GIL, lightning, stelling, etc systems i'd be willing to make a day of it and do back to back single pulls on each system... my mouse is putting out enough ponies (in the 400 neighborhood) to benefit from performance exhaust so there should be a distinct seperation if in fact there is one... afterall it's just water on the ground...

let me know what ya all think... dyno time is $350 / day (if i do the setup) probably a bit more if i want to take ALL day doing pulls... and i am talking a true back to back comparison... i am going to change NOTHING on the motor except exhaust.. and all numbers will be adjusted to corrected temp, humidity and pressure... so in otherwords TRUE DOE... as controlled as i can make it happen...

lack of specific information and perf. numbers on mouse exhaust really burns my noodle... as well as very vague responses by manufacturers when i ask specific difficult questions... i think we ALL as consumers using these products deserve the truth before we plunk down hard earned cash... :puke:

JR - just a dumb engineer... ticked off by ambiguity... :smash:

RedDog
03-26-2004, 10:00 PM

i was considering running a back to back comparison on this... keep my stock cast iron on the 16 and run her with the new prop and steering and then swap to the GLM's and see how it goes... but the weight difference will skew the true data... if i really get a bug up my ass i might just pull the motor and run her on the dyno ...

Jamie - another perspective is that running on the boat is the only true data. So what if they weigh 500 or 5 lbs? What we want to know is how they help real world performance.

MOP
03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Jamie check these out, I can not get hold of them, maybe they went under! The design is great all one piece, they circulate water in the riser. The exhaust outlet is extended way back, should be able to run hotter cams. I would love a set.

http://www.marrsproducts.com/index.html Fixed link!

Phil

Lossing weight can add :checkered

smoothie
03-27-2004, 10:01 AM
besides other than getting anyone to ask for a credit card number you cant get any other numbers out of them

LOL...been there done that,you would think that some numbers would be a good selling point...why no numbers,If I needed a new set of center rise manifolds I would go with Dennis Moore's too with a good riser,only because I like his numbers...in price. :wavey:

Root your next mission is to find out how big a cam you can run with em.

bigman
03-27-2004, 10:05 AM
I have a 68 2+3. Put a new 350 EFI Bravo 1 in it in 02. Runs great but its alittle heavy in the butt. Don't handle like it use to. I've put 100 lbs in the front,made a big difrence. Does any know what kind of wieght you drop with these,and where can I locate them. Thanks for any info,Bigman

Murphy
03-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Received my aluminum GLM's for the sbc yesterday. They look very nice overall. The runners come all the way up to the throat of the riser flange, a little higher than I thought, which is good. The quality of the casting is as advertised. GLM includes a complete set of gaskets, so for the price, these are really an exceptional value. They weigh right at 20 lbs. each. I didn't weigh the stock manifolds when they were off, but I remember it wasn't fun getting out of the boat with one. I'd guess they are about 80 lbs. ea. Taking manifolds and risers together, I estimate the total weigh loss for both sides at 150 lbs. Now, as things always go, I've located a brand new set of GIL Magnum Sport manifolds and risers for cheap. What to do, what to do?????

Available at http://www.mooreperformance.org/

Murph

MOP
03-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Murph if you turn down the Gils I would like a shot at them!

Phil