PDA

View Full Version : Educating a Block Head?

Dr. Dan
03-24-2004, 06:07 PM
:shades: Someone splain to me this? Generation VI, Generation V, Generation IV ...what are the diferences in these blocks....what is a Bow Tie Block? Are there different Bore and Casting sizes? .... :rolleyes: Just gathering some general knowledge here...

Doc :sombrero:

mphatc
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Doc,

I don't know Chebbies in detail, By desire . . ;-) . . . but a "Bow Tie Block" is an acronym for any Chevy engine, comes from the logo that looks like a bow tie.

Mario

RickR
03-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Mark IV
Fuel Pump Boss
Hyd Flat Tappet

Gen V
Different oil galley
No fuel pump boss
Different cooling for head will not swap w/Mark IV
Hyd Flat Tappet
Cast valve covers
Crank with one piece rear main seal
Different timing cover, oil pan and seal
Longer main cap bolts

Gen VI
Same oil galley as GenV
Some 454s have fuel pump boss
Same head as Gen V but supposedly you can use a Mark IV head
Cast valve cover
Hyd Roller with "Dog Bone" lifter retainers
Cam thrust plate
Cast aluminum timing chain cover
Crank with one piece rear main seal
Different oil pan and seal
Long main cap bolts

Gen V and VI have different ring lands and rings

BowTie block is GMs High Performance block with a heavier, stronger casting and splayed mains

Pics show the valve train dog bones and thrust plate on the Gen VI V-6 ;)

Dr. Dan
03-24-2004, 07:48 PM
:beer: Thanks Rick...that's what I'm talking about....so are the Gen V and VI considered Bow Tie Blocks also....or just the Gen 4...

I have a freind who is looking at a Gen 4 Block and wanted to know the Major advantages and disadvantages, or improvements...in the Series evolution...

Thanks... :cool:

RickR
03-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Dr
The Bowtie is different from the Mark and Gen series

paulminx
03-24-2004, 10:26 PM
chevy bowtie blocks have additional features that stock production blocks do not have : Siamesed cylinder bores ,thicker cylinder barrels,reinforced main bearing bolt bosses,thicker deck surfaces , blind cylinder head bolt holes ,redesigned water jackets to allow grinding for long stroke cranks and the list goes on . Part # 10185049 bowtie gen v short deck//// part # 10134367 genv bowtie tall deck. To make it simple contact World products and get a MERLIN superblock and your friend will be done!!!

gcarter
03-25-2004, 05:31 AM
chevy bowtie blocks have additional features that stock production blocks do not have : Siamesed cylinder bores ,thicker cylinder barrels,reinforced main bearing bolt bosses,thicker deck surfaces , blind cylinder head bolt holes ,redesigned water jackets to allow grinding for long stroke cranks and the list goes on . Part # 10185049 bowtie gen v short deck//// part # 10134367 genv bowtie tall deck. To make it simple contact World products and get a MERLIN superblock and your friend will be done!!!
I nhope you don't mind me jumping in, but I'm as oblivious as the good Dr.!
It sounds to me like every surface is beefed up (thickened) for modifications. Does this extra mass add a lot of weight?

George

paulminx
03-26-2004, 07:00 PM
no escape from the additional weight but ...........peace of mind is the game if you have the cash, spend the most on the crank and rods if more than 6 to 7 hundred hp is your idea.Two bolt mark IV has a limit of 600 hp on drag racing applications (car) thats to give you an idea of how strong a stock block is.

Air 22
03-26-2004, 10:24 PM
:shades: Someone splain to me this? Generation VI, Generation V, Generation IV ...what are the diferences in these blocks....what is a Bow Tie Block? Are there different Bore and Casting sizes? .... :rolleyes: Just gathering some general knowledge here...

Doc :sombrero:

Someone SPLAIN???? :rolleyes: :spongebob :cartman: :biggrin:

Dr. Dan
03-27-2004, 06:33 AM
:garfield: It's from I Love Lucy ...Desi Arnez used to say it all the time you stupid "Jaw Jackin Lolly Gaggin Minute Hoarding Clock Watching Fly Boy"... :smash:

Better keep up with other things besides your Dark Pink Donzi....and you would know this very important stuff...Pretty Boy Floyd!

:pimp: Doc

MOP
03-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Having given this great thought, I believe the Bow Tie is just below the Block Head :biggrin: :biggrin:

Air 22
03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
GET OFF THE CAN......DOC :splat: :rlol: