PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Paint?

Donzi22zx
03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
I am getting ready to paint my bilge, tired of cleaning up my stain pron factory finish, what is the best paint to use, and the best place to get it. Any paint tips also app.

pmreed
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Check this thread
Bilge Paint (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1066&highlight=bilge+paint)

Phil

olemissalum
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
There are specific bilge paints available, but any two part epoxy paint should work fine. Just make sure you wear a respirator when applying it.

Scott Heidt
03-22-2004, 05:13 PM
You guys will probably think I'm nuts , but I used Rust O Lieum marine paint (Home Depot or Lowes) in the gray and had great results. It holds up great. Very durable. You can paint over anything with that stuff. Just clean and prep the surface well and you are good to go.

Scott Heidt
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I was seeing pink elephants after 15 mins. :0 :eek:

Air 22
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Westmarine, Boat US, Boatersworld ....have several styles and colors. I used a high gloss hard enamel.. its a very easy clean up..just spray it out. Do yourself a big favor.... : :bonk: Make sure you prep the surface first..get rid of old paint...etc..then apply a primer FIRST...this holds the final coat of paint best. Just painting over the old will eventually flake or bubble which just = more work. :banghead: At Home Depot/Lowes they have the small foam rollers...they are very useful in the application process...No streaks etc... ;) Good luck...oh yeah...get some diposable rubber gloves...save your hands... :shades:

DOND
03-22-2004, 09:25 PM
:smile: I used Gray Interlux bilgecoat in my 16. It turned out very well, it is a gloss enamel that seems tough. It is darker than I wanted it to be but I was told after I was finished that I could of mixed the white bilgecoat with the gray to lighten it up. You definetely need a respirator, and not just one of those paper dust masks.
Don

Donzigo
03-22-2004, 09:36 PM
We did it the way Air22 said. It worked great.

mattyboy
03-23-2004, 06:40 AM
I used interlux on my 16 in gray, it came out great
and I did it outside with the deck off and still caught a nice buzzzzzzzzz. so BTW after it setsup and harderns if you hose it down don't try to walk on it :rlol: trust me on that one I still have the
h/m logo in my back ;)

matty