PDA

View Full Version : Help, stuck in Biloxi

txtaz
03-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Well folks I made it 800 miles towards Florida to pick up the 90 Classic 18 when my auto tranmission started slipping. I guess all those miles working out of town did it in. But, at least I made enough to buy a nice Donzi and maybe a new tranny. I'm gratefull it hapened on the way down and not pulling the boat.
Does anyone have information about tranny repairs? I know there are alot of "shady" tranny shops. I'm not too concerned about money, I just need a bullet proof tranny to get the boat back to Texas.
The indications:
Drove about 4 hours and stopped for breakfast and gas....uhmm doing about 80. Drove another 5 hours (80) and needed gas. Once back on the interstate, it started to slip on OD. I turned OD off and the engine PRM's spiked. Looks like third gear is gone. I put OD back on and it started to slip every once in a while.... Guess what, It got worse. You didn't see that coming did you. Now only first and second gear are realiable. I checked the fluid, it was full and pink (no smell). I am stuck in Biloxi at a hotel waiting for Monday which I have an appointment at a shop called VT Tranmissions.
My question, would it be better to buy a new one and have it installed or let them work on it? Time is a consideration, I do not want this boat to get away from me.

The second question is: Anyone know of a good shop here to get me on the road? I will pay a premium to get me back on the road to get the Donzi.

The third question is: Anyone want to pick me up to go get the boat? Any reasonable fair will be paid, besides the Jeep will be fixed by the time we get back.

If you are in the Mississippi, Alambama or Florida area and interested please call me on my mobile (210) 421-7827
Thanks, Wes

gcarter
03-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Have you tried to rent a pickup by the day, unlimited mileage? The Jeep would be ready when you got back with the boat.
George

olredalert
03-20-2004, 08:34 PM
-------Please take my advice and stay far,far away from AAMCO. Did I say far enough times? FAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------Generally,you are better off pounding the bricks (Yellow Pages) until there are no trans places left to call. Ask hot rod guys,as they have more problems than the average driver. A guy who can build a trans for NHRA Super Stock can do yours and probably be the most honest guy out there. Also look at the shop when you walk in. Mounds of grease and dirt and parts everywhere; walk away unless there is some compelling reason to stay. There are good,medium,and sub-standard parts for trans rebuilds. Never opt for anything but the best HD parts. It will pay big dividends down the road.
-------Oh,and just call boat owner and explain your circumstances,and he will do the right thing by you. Good luck..............Bill S

RedDog
03-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Unlikely to help but you never know. My old GMC Yukon transmission started to hang in high gear. Mr Transmission dropped the pan, said look at he fluid/sediment, and said a rebuild was needed. I was all but ready to commit but at the last minute backed out. Took it to a Jiffy Lube and they changed the filer and fluid and all worked great until I traded 20K miles later.

At least it is not a Beemer electronictransmission. I had a 530 tranny go bad. My local BMW guru rebuilt and reinstalled 3 times before giving up. He finally sent it to a dealer for a new one. Dealer charged me 6K. My man ate all his labor/parts himself.

TMANN
03-21-2004, 12:41 AM
I made that same drive from Houston to Tampa to pick up my 22 Classic. I tried to rent a truck but could not find any place that would rent a truck with a hitch. So your next option is to look for a van rental place. I could rent a van for cheaper and most had hitches. Most 8 or 15 person vans have plenty of power to tow a 18. Thats you best bet for a tow if you cant find a truck. Hope it help and good luck.

TMANN

olemissalum
03-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Wes, tried to call you back last night but got your answering machine. Talked to my brother in law who runs a transmission shop about 20 miles from Biloxi and said he could get you in first thing Monday morning. Said to call him at home today and set it up. He said it sounded like your truck is stuck in fail-safe mode since your fluid did not smell burnt. May be something as simple as a pressure sensor. Call me today and maybe we can get you back on the road quickly.

Jim

Team Hula Girl
03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
txtaz,

Give me a call when you get this. I am not sure where your Donzi is in Florida but I may be able to help you out. I have got a few days off this week and may be able to meet you half way with the boat. I might even be able to take it farther. I am in Tampa.

John Mitchell

813-363-0011

txtaz
09-17-2004, 09:38 AM
I was looking through my old posts and I don't know if I ever said thank you to all who helped. If I didn't, I feel really bad. I'm sure I did, but just to be safe THANK YOU.
If anyone needs help, give us a call. We can make time to help our Donzi family.
Wes and Jennifer