PDA

View Full Version : Flying the B-25D

BLACKIE
03-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Yesterday I posted the following in a thread pertaining to prop slippage. Since there seems to be some interest I thought I would create a thread in the approporate area.

Yes, it is fun to fly the bird. Here's a picture taken last Fall at Monroe/Custer Airport in Southeast Michigan. The plane is based at Willow Run Airport near Ypsilanti, MI. It's the only flying "D" model in the world. It's very similar to the "B" model that the "Doolittle Raiders" used in the famous raid on Japan in 1942. This plane just completed a total restoration that took almost 5 years. We will be flying it regularly this summer at airshows, flyins, & flex rides. Yes a flex ride, you will be able to ride in it on Thursday evenings for a trip around the Detroit metropolitan area (approx 40 minutes). This will cost approx. $375 per person. I will be flying on most of those flights. We don't have the final schedule yet but I will post it here if anyone is interested when it's finalized. If you guys want more info, let me know.

The B-25 currently can carry 10 persons, 4 must be crew so that leaves 6 seats for passengers. We are trying to get the FAA to allow 12 persons aboard. Don't know when that will happen. The best seat (besides pilot & co-pilot) is the nose (Incredible view). In my tentative copy of the flight schedule flying is to begin on the Memorial Day weekend. Flights will consist of parade flybys in various cities and the Yankee AF (YAF) Open House on May 31. After that it will probably be every Thursday evening (if we have paying passengers) and on weekends at various air shows & fly ins around the mid-west. If several board members wanted to go on a flex ride together I’m sure I could fix it so they all could ride together and I would be one of the pilots. I will know more when they firm up the flight schedule. If anyone is interested in riding let me know and I will post some available dates as soon as I can.

The YAF has a really neat museum and several other flyable aircraft at their location at Willow Run Airport. Currently flying are a B-17, B-25, C-47(DC-3), and a Stinson Reliant. They have a web site www.yankeeairmuseum.org that explains it all.

Here’s some more pictures from last fall’s flying. In all the pictures I'm flying co-pilot, right front seat. Unfortunately you cannot see me very well. I used to fly another B-25 and I have a lot of pictures from that one including videos but all the photos are on paper. They were taken before I obtained a digital camera. When the flying season starts in a few weeks I will start taking some more pictures. I will look for some more interesting aviation shots and post them here.

If anyone has any questions about a B-25 feel free to ask.

Some interesting facts about a B-25:
67’ wingspan
53’ in length
15.5’ tall at the tail
Weight as we fly it is approx. 28,000 pounds
Engines are Wright 14 cylinder 2600-35’s, (2600 Cubic Inches), They have two stages superchargers fed by a huge holly carburetor and will pull 44 inches of manifold pressure for take-off & war emergency power. Each engine develops 1,700 horsepower for a total of 3,400 HP for take-off.
The plane will fly itself off the ground at approx 110 MPH and will climb at 1,500 feet per minute.
It carries 986 gallons of 100-octane aviation fuel and 37.5 gallons of oil per engine. It burns 175 gallons of fuel (at $2.70 per gal) per hour at takeoff power and approx 40 – 50 gallons per hour at cruise power (27 inches & 1,950 RPM). It will also burn approx. 1 – 2 gallons of oil per hour too. Actual flight costs including consumables, maintenance, & insurance works out to approx. $1,200 per hour of operation.

I welcome your comments. I am a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) and I have some interesting experiences I can tell about.

boxy
03-20-2004, 04:22 PM
That may be the coolest summer job in the world :D :D

"The best seat (besides pilot & co-pilot) is the nose (Incredible view)."
Do you sit in the nose on take off and landing, if so that must be an amazing feeling.

olredalert
03-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Blackie,

--------Im in,any Thursday is good,but Id love to do it with qualified DONZI nutcases,such as Todd,Randy,Rootsy,Brad,etc,etc. Wait.....theres five already. Come on guys lets get this together................Bill S

BLACKIE
03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Do you sit in the nose on take off and landing, if so that must be an amazing feeling.

Yes, you can sit in the nose for T/O & Landings. It really is amazing feeling all that horsepower pulling. You will have to flip a coin (or fight) to see who sits there during the flight. Plus the crew is adding details and finishing touches to the nose compartment as we aquire the pieces. This year you might have a .50 caliber machine gun and a Nordon bomb site to play with while riding. The guys in the rear compartment have a fully functioning gun turret with two .50 cals mounted in it. (they will not fire though).

Where ever you sit you should wear a headset, the engine noise inside of a B-25 is deafening. If you have every watched a war movie where the crew is talking to each other while in flight, its not true. You must use an intercom or scream into the other persons ear or you will not be heard. The engines have short exhaust stacks for the bottom cylinders that are only about 18" long thus all the noise. You can see them in the pictures I posted.

smoothie
03-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey Blackie,I think I saw this plane before,has it been to the Cleveland Air show?

JimG205
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Blackie-As a fellow aviator I'm sure you know how fortunate you are to be flying right seat on that beautiful piece of machinery! Is that the same model that Mel Gibson flew in that time lapse movie "Forever Young"? Safe Flying-Jim

Donzigo
03-24-2004, 03:24 AM
I may have seen you guys at the St. Pete/ Clearwater airport a few years ago.

B-17 & B-25.........Nice birds!

Surfer
03-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Its been kind of a hobby of mine, collecting pic's of nose art, and riding in the classics, been in a 17, a 24, a Ford Tri, and even a Mosquito, but never a 25. Any plans to bring it down to Florida?

BLACKIE
03-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi guys, Some answers to the questions you have posted.

Hey Blackie,I think I saw this plane before,has it been to the Cleveland Air show?

The first B-25 I crewed on was there. We went to the Cleaveland Labor Day weekend airshow in 1996. That particular B-25 is now based in California at John Wayne Airport in Long Beach. The Yankee Air Force's B-25 I'm flying now has been under restoration for the last 4 years or so and was not flying.

Blackie-As a fellow aviator I'm sure you know how fortunate you are to be flying right seat on that beautiful piece of machinery! Is that the same model that Mel Gibson flew in that time lapse movie "Forever Young"? Safe Flying-Jim

The B-25 in the Mel Gibson movie was a "J" model. This one is a "D" model. It is an earlier varient of the B-25. Basically they look the same except for the placement of the top turret. In the "J" model it was right behind the pilots because "J" models had a tail turret and "D" models did not thus the turret was placed further aft. There are some other small differences too. Size and shape of the carb air intakes on the top of the engines and various exhaust stack arrangements. There were many differences in the flight deck regarding instruments and switch placement too. Overall the basic controls are the same just placement of switches, valves, electrical circuts, etc. And yes, I do feel honored and lucky to be able to fly it. This is the ONLY flyable "D" model in the WORLD. This particular aircraft is also a combat veteran of WWII. She flew 9 Combat missions from Corsica in the Mediterranean sea against targets in Italy.

We get to fly in formation with other warbirds too. I've flown with Chuck Yeager on my right wing in his P-51 and Bob Morgan the commander of the B-17 Memphis Bell. That B-17 was the first to complete 25 combat missions from England in WWII.

I may have seen you guys at the St. Pete/ Clearwater airport a few years ago. Hi guys, some answers to your questions........

This particular aircraft has not been to florida in recent years (as far as I know). There are about 30 flyable B-25 scattered around the country. A Guy named Tom Reilly in Kissimme, FL has a warbird museum and he rebuilds alot of them there. You probably saw one of his.

Big ole beer can with engines on it.. A tad bit noisy I'll bet!

Yes......It is noisy, you must wear a noise canceling headset to hear the radios. I relate to what you said about your dad when he went inside the B-17. I've seen it at just about every airshow we attend with the warbirds. These guys have done things in those planes (because they were young and there was a war on) that we would never do today. And they did it while people were shootingn at them too. I give them alot of credit. They are true heros. I've seen more than one break down and cry when inside the B-25. It really brings back the memories for them.

Its been kind of a hobby of mine, collecting pic's of nose art, and riding in the classics, been in a 17, a 24, a Ford Tri, and even a Mosquito, but never a 25. Any plans to bring it down to Florida?

Never can tell, I'm just one of the pilots and don't have anything to do with scheduling the birds. I have a tentative schedule now and it shows that we are to be in Reading, PA on June 4 - 6, Goshen, Indiana July 2 - 3, Geneseo, NY July 9 - 10, Rochester, NY July 16 - 18, Oscoda, MI August 21 - 22, Toledo, OH August 27 0 29, Marion, Indiana Sep 3 - 4, Kent State University at Stow, OH September 12. There are also several dates for open houses, pancake breakfasts, etc. at Willow Run, MI where she is based. And of course the Thursday evening flight experiences. We will be doing those as long as there are people willing to show up and pay for the ride. This is of course subject to changes and or additions. I will probably be flying on all of the Thursday flights and probably half of the weekend airshows as there are two flight crews.

As I get more pictures I will post them here......Also I can probably get some more information on this B-25's history. I will post it when I can find it.