PDA

View Full Version : Need towing advice please

txtaz
03-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Since making the decision to plunge into the Donzi world I have done nothing more than puruse the Donzi registry. Well, I did go to the bank to get that check to pay for the boat. I have to say, this seems like a great community to be a part of.
I have a little dilema: I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with an inline 6 and auto tranny. Does anyone know if this will be enough to pull the Classic 18 1300 miles? I can take all week to get the boat from Florida to Texas if necessary. I have also tried to rent a truck in Tampa with no luck.
Any help is appreciated.
Wes

Tom Davis
03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
No Problem with the inline 6 jeep GC, just switch the over drive off, check all fluids and wheel bearings, tire pressure, etc... and it's time for a road trip! Oh by the way, welcome aboard :beer:

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits :cool!:

Woodsy
03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
The Jeep should have no problem pulling the 18.... T-Bone forgot a few things...

!. Get your tranny fluid changed before the trip. They usually flush thru a recycling machine. Getting a tranny cooler installed is a pretty good idea. Any tranny shop can do that for you. Getting all of the fluids changed is a good idea including radiator.

2. Don't use your ac if possible. If you do keep a keen eye on the temp guage, your towing across mostly flat country, so once your up to speed all should be ok.

3. SPARE TIRE FOR TRAILER!

Welcome to the boards!

Woodsy Von Outboard

Wondering how Dr. Dan trailers all those miles.....

Tom Davis
03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Your right Woodsy! Also you might want to consider switching over to synthetics in your tow vehicle provided it's past its break in period. Another thought would be a good tool kit, extra wheel bearings, a greese gun, and a hydraulic jack. Just my .02 after more than one road trip, but not as many as Dr Dan & Lizzzz...... :wavey:

txtaz
03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks Woodsy and Tom,
The Jeep has synthetics throughout, tranny cooler, new tires, new bearings and brakes. Good idea on the AC though. I didn't think of that. I'm glad it's only March for the trip instead of July. I can hardly wait to get started and pick up the boat.

Thanks again.
Wes
On Sunday color me outtahere :outtahere

Tom Davis
03-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Wes, I was more concerned with the wheel bearings and tires on the trailer. The most common trailer road side trouble is tires and wheel bearings. Some people bring spare wheel bearings for a long trip, it just makes the pit stop so much shorter if you are not searching for the right bearings half way between the middle of nowhere and where the %#@* am I. This is also why I suggested a hydraulic jack (something big enough to pick up the boat and trailer with a full tank of gas). Ever try to change a trailer tire with your car jack?? Trust me on this one, you'll thank me if you have trouble on the road. Oh almost forgot one more thing..... don't assume that the lug wrench for your truck is the same size as your trailer lug nuts. Have a safe road trip, and again welcome to the board.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Ranman
03-19-2004, 03:57 PM
SOme people like to carry a full hub complete with new bearings and races, though I'm not one of them. :wink:

txtaz
03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the clarification. I have a four way lug wrench that I am taking with me. I think I will take the hydralic jack also just to be safe. Luckily, the boat comes with a mounted spare tire and hub. Do you have any idea on what size bearings the trailer would take? It would be kind of hard/pain in the butt to break a wheel down on the in the parking lot to get replacements at a parts store. I will call the current owner and see if he knows.

Thanks again for the hellp.
BTW, pictures are coming after I'm done playing with it.....LOL....Give me a few weeks....
Wes

MOP
03-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Wes when you get down to the boat have pliers and lagre ajustable or Channel Locks, the bearing set are super cheap replace all and start fresh with new syn grease about 1-1/2hr done. Make sure you have decent tongue weight, I run about 250lbs. A coulple of the 18 guys can get you closer. Grab a spare and then "Gibba Da gas" and head home with no worries. Your Jeep will be just fine, on the flat sections you can more than likely use the OD. I use the OD on my V6 Dakota except in the hilly areas. I lived down that way that is some flat turf. :checkered

Ooops almost forgot bring a grease gun with a full tube :)

MOP

txtaz
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone,
I am heading out tomorrow (Saturday), I forgot about a doctors appointment I have this coming week....Geeesssshhhhh.....Just when you think you have time to let your hair down and enjoy it.
Phil, The seller is getting new bearings for me tomorrow and I have my grease gun in my hands as I type. Now I have to figure out how to clean the laptop keyboard. LOL.

Thanks again, I will be back by Thursday.
Wes

olredalert
03-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Wes,

------Is the trailer a dual axle or single? Does it have brakes? Those of us with bigger (read Suburban,etc.) tow vehicles dont generally worry alot about brakes on the trailer because the boat and trailer cant push the vehicle around very much. With a smaller vehicle like your jeep surge brakes would be nice but if they arent there you wont be able to put them on your trailer easily. So if there arent brakes on your trailer just take it super easy. Im not trying to scare you as you should have no problems when paying attention to all the great advice above,but take care.............Bill S

goatee
03-19-2004, 09:01 PM
good point red,,, here's another.. what kind of hitch do you have?
i have a jeep cherokee and it is rated for 5000 lbs. i also have a reece class 3 hitch. also rated for 5000 lbs. if i am correct,,an 18 classic full of gas and a 1200lbs. trailor will put you at "around" 5040 lbs.

hope you read this before you leave. but i'm sure you already have the right hitch. or you wouldnt even think of it.

MOP
03-19-2004, 09:59 PM
I just looked on the Donzi maine site the spec says 2,700lbs but call it 2,900 for extra what evers. My 22 trailer is 975lbs I think he will be under 4,000 but still near two tons chasing you down the road. That is 3-400 more than my 16, I have had a moment or two when the sweat beaded. Wes be safe and Happy Donzi Daze!

Phil /MOP

Donzigo
03-20-2004, 06:59 AM
FYI: you probably have already left; but, having owned a Cherokee w 4.0 engine, you should see about a 15 degree increase in water temp when puling a trailer. I always did.