PDA

View Full Version : 68+18'=454?

DonziNUTS
03-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Has anyone put a 454 into a 18' Donzi? :idea: I have an 1968 and a 454....was wondering about the weight? Can this be done? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Mike

Brian Freeman
03-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I have heard of a few boats that came from the factory with a 454 in an 18.

Rodger
03-18-2004, 08:06 AM
I have ridden in a few original factory 18's with the 330 TRS package. They will give a nice fast ride, though a bit tail heavy that is noticable both cruising and sitting.

olredalert
03-18-2004, 08:58 AM
------I bought an X18 330/TRS new and would basicly back up what Rodger said. Factory prop was a Cleaver and the boat was very slow to get on plane,but back then there wernt many prop choices. It was a 70mph boat out of the box,or just short of it and could be induced to chine walk when trimmed far enough to get those speeds.
------One of the things I liked about it was the way it sat at rest. The boot stripe was about 8 inches under water at the stern and the boat just looked tough. And with the TRS you could heel the boat over into a turn at slow speeds so far that you could take water into the cockpit!
------All in all an H E Double hockeystick ride. Sold the boat in 1981/82 to a guy who hung around Cabbage Key,and Boca Grande just north of Ft. Myers. Anybody seen it?............Bill S

RedDog
03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Has anyone put a 454 into a 18' Donzi?

Ahhh - Nervous Energy (aka Genuine Risk & Genuine Trouble) is known by many on this Board -
http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=1068686043

MOP
03-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Why BB they run great with a worked SB or drive swap, look at Waleyes boat dead stock crate motor BH drive 80+. Or go with a 383 stroker and a bravo and maybe run the same. I've been in several small boats with BB, it is an awsome sight if you chop the throttle and look back see the wake coming up onto the boat, a buddy had a Baja that would get water in the tub if he dumped the throttle. I know there is a BB cool factor but!

N2DEEP
03-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Ah yes, the BBC cool factor. I am not ashamed to say "I LOVE MY BIG BLOCK!!!!" It is a factory 330 TRS. Tight fit, heavy,obsolete,old and, fortunately, has a 40 gallon fuel tank! In the few times it was out last fall it attracted a lot of attention....low in the stern and oh, that sound. However, if you are after all around best performance, big block may not be the most practical way.....but heck, what is practical about an 18 anyway? :cool!: PS You WILL get wet if you chop the throttle quick. :eek:

N2DEEP
03-18-2004, 12:33 PM
.....There may be hatch issues with a big block....mine has a factory scoop for the flame arrester and each riser. Fortunately I like scoops.

cigarette30
03-18-2004, 11:17 PM
I had a "factory" X-18 with a 370 (454) T.R.S, a solid 74-76 m.p.h, boat, probably my favorite. Real question, what would one do today, with a Bravo XR, minus the T.R.S transmission ......? Would sure like to find out. And yes, if the throttle was "chopped", the back seat passengers got a free bath. Still an awesome ride, I will never forget Roy Farmer saying, "a factory 75 M.P.H. boat with a warranty." Looked awful "tough" dockside, with it's rear deep in the water.

smoothie
03-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Has anyone put a 454 into a 18' Donzi? :idea: I have an 1968 and a 454....was wondering about the weight? Can this be done? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Mike

Go with aluminum heads,intake and exhaust manifolds and your only a few lbs more than a SB,with much more torx,and me likes torx.

CDMA
03-19-2004, 07:00 AM
CIg,

What was the color scheme on your X boat??

IMO, you would be surprised at how little difference there is in the efficiency between a TRS and a Bravo.. And since it takes more power to drive an XR, the difference is even less.

Yes poodle I agree but it isn't the XR thats key it is the shorty you could put on the bottom.

Chris

DonziNUTS
03-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I have had a extra 454 for my Scarab. I am getting ride of the Scarab this year and have this 454 extra! I took majority off my 18 to put on my 16' to keep it close to original as possible. (close but far) I have a Bravo drive for the 18 and before I go and put my "350 Z" motor in it I pondered on the BBC. Besides I am looking to do a 32 Zipper with the "Z" next winter.
So is it a waste of time or hell of a ride?

olredalert
03-19-2004, 08:40 AM
-------Remember that in the equation of switching from mouse to rat,the rat is quite a bit wider at the exhaust ports. Makes it hard to hit your old exhaust holes.
-------This was one reason I havent repowered my Corsican with the almighty "RAT". At least with the Corsican I have plenty of overhead clearance,but I couldnt see doing any sort of patch-work on the transom to make the switch. My original gelcoat is just too nice for that to happen. I have chosen a Scorpion bobtail package for my third year of Corsican induced mayhem on the water. 377cu/340hp just about to go in as I type this. Can hardly wait for spring!...........Bill S

goatee
03-19-2004, 09:40 AM
hey mop, i think its one of convienence.. he just happens to have one.
i know i'd surely use it if i could, rather than go buy a new sb.

cigarette30
03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
MadPoodle

CIg,

What was the color scheme on your X boat??

IMO, you would be surprised at how little difference there is in the efficiency between a TRS and a Bravo.. And since it takes more power to drive an XR, the difference is even less.

Honey with a dark brown stripe, and seat accents. I later had the brown changed to a forest green. That is another "picture" I hope to post soon.

I will yield to your knowlege, but I was always told the Merc. trans with the T.R.S. cost about 9-12 percent. The Borg Warner I had in a later 22' with a 420 would not fit in the 18', however the Merc. trans, although smooth, was a very week link for further H.P. gains.

Rootsy
03-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I have chosen a Scorpion bobtail package for my third year of Corsican induced mayhem on the water. 377cu/340hp just about to go in as I type this. Can hardly wait for spring!...........Bill S

you sneaky devil... ;)

Rootsy - heeeeere supercharger, supercharger, supercharger :D