PDA

View Full Version : I've Got Rotten Stringers, What To Do?

Philip
03-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I just had my boat surveyed for insurance, and found out that I have wood rot in some of my stringers!! Do I attampt to fix it, should I dump it? What should I do?

farmer tx
03-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Philip, You can take a look at this stuff.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/

Donzigo
03-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Stringer problems?

a. Ship boat to Miamuh to "Mr. Scott Baxter's house for wayward Donzis"

b. Wait.................(might be a long wait......like 50 years)

Yeah, ditch that Donzi quick. Nobody else on this board has ever had THOSE rotten stringer problems.

Seriously, get it fixed. It's not a big deal. Don't go for any "miracle or quick fixs".

Get it done right.

Good luck.

Philip
03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not handy. The deck will need to be lifted, the arch-T Top has to come off. Nightmare!

Dump it.. How muchya want?? :D :D :D

Stringers can be fixed. Depending upon the location of the rot, it may involve pulling the engine and redoing the stringers in the engine compartment, or lifting the deck and rdoing the whole thing. How handy are ya??

Donzigo
03-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Which model & year of Donzi is it?

Philip
03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Which model & year of Donzi is it?

'87 F-33

Donzigo
03-18-2004, 07:46 AM
I could have guessed as much. I have owned a 1986,87,& 89. Only the 87 had stringer problems. The arch isn't as much problem as you think. Where is the damage?

I completely took my 1987 Z-25 apart and replaced stringers from the transom to the front. If you want to call, I would be glad to give a tip or two to you.

Richard Aaron 727-867-7020.

Philip
03-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Stringer problems?

a. Ship boat to Miamuh to "Mr. Scott Baxter's house for wayward Donzis"

b. Wait.................(might be a long wait......like 50 years)

Yeah, ditch that Dnzi quick. Nobody else on this board has ever had THOSE rotten stringer problems.

Seriously, get it fixed. It's not a big deal. The engine comes out in 4 or so hours and a good fiberglass guy can repair it in short order. Don't go for any "miracle or quick fixs". Get it done right.

Good luck.

Well it may be a big deal. My boat is a F-33, with outboards, and we're talking about the stringers tat go the length of the boat.

Philip
03-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Many thanks to Donzigo who gave me great advice. Turns out only a couple of "sections" in the stringer system need replacing. Not a big deal at all. It's people like him that make life easier for people like me! :D :D :D