PDA

View Full Version : lit a fire today.....

N2DEEP
03-17-2004, 07:23 PM
32 degrees with snow showers tonight, :splat: I couldn't take anymore of the FLA. boys warm weather posts, so I decided to fire :lightning :lightning LIVEWIRE :lightning :lightning up. Started and ran great using a homemade" fake a lake" for the TRS uptake. Ran her up and stabilized water temp at 140 for 20 min. However, the port side exaust seems to be running warmer...I think 10 degrees or so, you can feel the difference also in the manifolds. Is this normal? How would you know if a raw water or circulating pump was beginning to fail on 330 TRS?
PS A Rat motor sounds verrrry good in a small barn, makes lots of steam and fumes too.!!!

smoothie
03-17-2004, 08:51 PM
So does mine,but I dont remember which side :confused: but it may have been the same side the tranny cooler runs into and I know for sure that my pump is good,ran it for 2 yrs this way and no problems.I would keep an eye on your temp gauge when you launch it.BTW what type of exhaust?

N2DEEP
03-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Smoothie, I believe it is stock merc cast iron thru hull. The risers match up with the "scoops" in the hatch from the factory. I'll try to post picts tomorrow, having some issues with posting this eve.

Fish boy
03-18-2004, 04:51 AM
just as a FYI, I have been chasing cooling gremlins in my clamp on mota. Bought a nifty little gizmo at Sears for $59. They also have much better ones, but this one works fine for me.

It is an infrared temp gauge. Point it at different parts of the engine and it gives a specific temperature reading relative to the location which you are point the device. Can tell you the head temp, block temp, differences in temp around different cylinders and different parts of the engine...etc. Its a little mor specific that just reading from a gauge which is likely reading head temp in one area of one side of the motor.

Fish

Badscrambler
03-18-2004, 08:16 AM
It's normal for one side of the motor to be warmer than the other. My dad had a pump go out and didn't realize it till the motor was HOT. Blue Crusader motor, one manifold turned a greenish color and about 1/2 the block as well. I believe it was the left hand side that was hotter. Mechanic said it's perfectly normal for one side to be hotter. Something about the way GM designed the pump/cooling system.

N2DEEP
03-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Smoothie, here is a manifold pict. Thanks for the responses.

smoothie
03-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Smoothie, here is a manifold pict. Thanks for the responses.

OK..now I remember,sooo are you taking good care of the 27 cleaver :wink: I still have the 25 hydro if you want to try it this spring,boat looks good with the rat sitting in there :yes: