PDA

View Full Version : 18 or 16 classic with 5.0???

ChromeGorilla
03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I have recently decided (read my wife will allow me) to purchase a new boat. I was curious what type of difference in performance I would see between a 18 and 16 classic with the 5.0. Which would you guys recomend? Is it worth the extra $ for a little more boat? I'm in the military so I'm definately not Mr. money bags but i'd like to get the most for my dollar. Any insight would be fantastic. Thanks, Scott.

Greg K
03-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I can't comment on the speed differences, but the 18 will definitely be a more stable and comfortable ride over the 16, IMO.
I'm sure others will have more comments in regards to the differences.

MOP
03-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I have been running a 16 for three years with a 5.0 it will run high 50's best I have seen is 57. I have run a few 18's they are better in the rough stuff. The 16 is a little faster with matched power, I love my 16 but have gone to a 22C.

Phil

Last Tango
03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I have owned a 2000 16 and then bought a 2001 18 which I still have. I have noticed that the new 16 with a 5.0 has very little room between the front of the engine (pulleys) and the firewall. The 18 has lots of room in that area. The 18 absolutely is a lot better boat to drive in rough water and a lot easier to control. Passengers have a few more critical inches to work with as well. The 18 is 200 pounds heavier and carries 9 more gallons of gas (the equivalent of two cute girls and a picnic lunch and cooler). The 18 will easily trailer behind the same vehicle as the 16, and both can be used with single axle trailers. I would look at the small additional cost of upgrading to the 350 as worth the money if you opt for the 18. Also the 18 won't really need trim tabs, but I do recommend the depth meter. Skip the radio and bring a boom box. Also the windshield is an unnecessary expense as the wind will hit you in the face in either boat with or without the windshield. And, for whatever it is worth, the 18 with a 350 will have a better resale value and a larger market when you decide to move up or out.

ChromeGorilla
03-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your insight Mark. It is very helpfull. I just noticed that you are in Jax. I'm just up the road in Camden County. The more i think about it the 18 with the 350 looks awful nice to me....decsions, decisions. If you wouldnt mind I'd love to asked you a few questions about local dealers and your 18. Feel free to drop me an email if ya want. Thanks, Scott.

Mark Albers
03-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Scott :outtahere

Bob (tidbart on the registry) has an exceptional 18 for sale

I think it is powered by the rare 350 mag with a bravo drive

Give him a try

Mark :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

Last Tango
03-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Scott,
Take a look at the Events and Gatherings section on this website and specifically the Mt. Dora event. That event is the weekend after next. We will have a major gathering of Donzi owners and boats at this event. You will have a spectacular selection of new and old Donzi's to look at and some VERY knowlegable owners who will be very happy to share what they know. The best part is you will be able to ride in the boats and see for yourself what level of boat performance you are willing to pay for, and the characteristics of each boat. Please try to join us on Saturday the 27th at a minimum because this is the biggest day of the weekend, and also the most Donzi's (including me).
The only Donzi dealer in the Jacksonville area is Haskell Marine. I have not purchased a boat from them nor have I done any maintenance there. That is not THEIR fault. They became the Donzi dealer just last year. The year before that the dealer was in St. Augustine and for a while also had a satellite store on Phillips Hwy near I-95 and JTB. I also never had the opportunity to make a deal or do maintenance with them. They were the dealer for only a year. Prior to that, it was Julington Creek Marine, from whom I bought both of my Classics. They are now a Baja dealer, but they still do excellent and convenient maintenance. I have also used Port Jacksonville Sea Ray/Fountain for maintenance and they have been excellent. Both of the latter locations have done routine maintenance and major performance modifications to my various Donzi's over the years. That may be a major hike for you, but if you buy a new Donzi, you will most likely get it from Haskell Marine. In any case, feel free to call me this weekend. and we'll chat it up. I will be particularly available this Saturday morning at around 9 AM because I will be sitting in the service department of my Jeep dealer getting my Spring maintenance so I will be ready for the trailer towing season ahead. (904) 534-9928

BUIZILLA
03-17-2004, 07:36 PM
CG, first off, welcome aboard !! your alright in my book if you got a PWC to run 79 mph, lunacy herein is a good thing :yes: your other secrets are safe with us :lookaroun been there, done that !

secondly, I really think instead of looking for new, you should go for a quality, and well maintained used 18-350 combo starting out. Don't throw any money away that you don't need to, on new depreciation, if this is your first Donzi. There are a couple immaculate 18's for sale in your neck of the woods very worthy of consideration.

Where is your local boating region? budget?

Bob's (Tidbart) boat deserves serious consideration. Mt Dora is just a tooo cool venue to miss. I'm not sure yet which one of my 3 Donzi's i'm bringing, prolly my 18LE at this point, but your welcome to try it on for size if I bring it.

Jim

where the hell is Camden County, Ga anyways??

ChromeGorilla
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
LOL. Camden County, Ga is the SE most point of Georgia. I live on the St. Marys river which forms the border with FL. Basically a suburb of Jacksonville. Yeah my ski is pretty insane as am I. It is crazy fast and i love it. Never been takin by another jetski. Even takin a few Bajas too....the looks i get are priceless. Anyhoo..this will be my second boat. In 1998 i purchased a 1990 Ski Nautique and enjoy the hell out of it until someone else decided that they deserve it more than myself. It was stolen from my gated community after 2 months of ownership. Thank god for insurance! I really had not considered buying pre-owned, but it sounds like I'll be able to get into a little more performnce for a lot less investment. I leave the service (USN) next year and would like to move to either Orlando area or upstate NY. Depends on where I can find the best job. I have fallen in love with these boats as a teen and can actually afford my own now, so I'm very excited.And yes bob's (TIDBART) 18 is beautifull. It sounds like I should definately make a trip to Mt. Dora that weekend. Thank you for your input Jim, I really appreciate it. And Mark...TY too. I'll prob will give you a call...also greatly appreciated.

In case you havent seen my "Donzi Girl" posts ....checkem out...later

Scott

olredalert
03-17-2004, 08:13 PM
------Ill back up Jim on the quality used 18. New is wonderful,but you may find out after the fact that you need a bit bigger boat(22). If you dont have to worry about the majority of the depreciation you will be ahead of the game to go on to the next DONZI. Alot of us on the board would love to go out and buy a brand new Classic,but its just too much. Think of it another way; if you have the money for one new one you could go out and buy two different older DONZIs for two different uses for app. the same money! I did!!!!!!!..........Bill S

ChromeGorilla
03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Well I guess I'll have to go. I have duty on Sun. but Sat. looks great for me. I look forward to meeting a lot of great people with great boats. And I've gotta ask....how many Scotts are in here? I too bear the moniker. And my last name starts with a V...Scott V....too funny...

Last Tango
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Any chance you live in Osprey Cove? One of the people who works on my team lives in Osprey Cove, and I was up there in St. Mary's just a few weeks ago when they opened the HGTV Dream Home for tours. I didn't win it. Do the terms Boomer and Bubblehead have any particular meaning to you? Looking forward to chatting!