FJB20
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Been to a Few Websites -- Some Say 350Mag - 300Hp --- Others Say
377 - 350HP Is the 377 Scorpion Available in the New 22zx"s
I would think Donzi would offer a little more than 300HP
Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranman
03-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's my understanding on the 22ZX. In the past you could get a 502 415HP in a 22ZX, then the max was a 454. Eventually, the only options became small blocks (including the 377 Scorpion). Now the max is the 350MAG (or maybe 377/320HP). There were rumors about Donzi downsizing the engine packages due to to safety and handling concerns. I'm not about to debate these theories as any 22' boat with a 502 will have safety and handling concerns when placed in the wrong hands.

Now, the story as I am told, is Donzi has scaled back the engines because of cost. There are relativly few options available on the 22ZX and this includes motor packages. Donzi's 22ZX is an entry level "offshore" sport boat. They are trying hard to keep the costs to manufacture and assemble this boat to an absolute minimum so they can maintain an attractive "entry level" price. The statement I heard was that from a mold standpoint, the 22ZX is not much cheaper to pop, than say a 26ZX. I would think rigging and assembly would be close to the bigger boat too. Which boat do you think has the better profit margin?

Anyway, if Donzi let you customize the 22ZX too much, the cost to manufacture would get out of hand and they would not be able to aggressivly price the boat. You will also note the lack of bolster seats, zero effort controls and real-deal "Livorsi" instruments. This is Donzi's answer to cost avoidance. It's for this reason, you can only get a small block (which is much cheaper than the BB's) in the 22ZX, or so I'm told...

On a side note, I would think if you had the cheese, they would build you a 22ZX with a 377 Scorpion motor. Also, I heard that Donzi modified the mold so you can no longer fit a BBC in the engine compartment. Anyone else hear of this?