PDA

View Full Version : More Blackhawk

MOP
03-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Most know I am putting a BH on my 22C, the BH props are hard to come by so I have decided to run B3 wheels, knowing I will be a few miles an hour slower. I am not after top end but a fast cruise, I have run a bunch of B3 boats and they do not suffer the shifting problem that I hope the B3 wheels may cure. I can buy 3 sets of B3's for the price of one BH set. I got a set of 28" B3's and as "Woodsey Von Outboard" says they don't fit need machining, I did a few measurement found the bearing carrier was a tad over 1/4 inch bigger on the BH than on the Bravo, so off to my local machine guy. I had him cut the inner webs open to 3 3/4 now thay fit like a glove. This may be of benefit to BH drive owners that want to carry a set of get home props. B3's can be gotten for under $500 and cheaper if you shop.

Greg Maier
03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Good luck with your experiment. Several prop guys that I have talked to said that the BIII prop would not hold up under surface piercing conditions due to the high stresses placed on the prop. But, the front BH prop looks very similiar in construction to a BIII prop, except for the larger diameter. I would keep a close watch for cracks in the BIII prop. I had a front BH prop that developed a crack very quickly from a small nick.

Woodsy
03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
MOP...

Glad the mod worked out for you! Your running the drive a little deep so all should be fine as far the props go. Keep a keen eye on them and you will be fine. Keep me posted on the progress!

Woodsy Von Outboard

MOP
03-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I am hoping they work for what I am trying to do, I wonder if it will shift like a B3 with these props? I am thinking of using the shift interupter also. An experiment it is for sure, I hope the 383 will have enough umph for the drive. I am just looking for a fast cruise, not top end. Hope it makes it, if not there is another crate on the floor with a different Mix Master that may be next winters project.

Woodsy
03-16-2004, 06:12 AM
MOP...

THe 383 should be able to spin those props no problem. They are ALOT smaller in diameter than your standard Blackhawk wheels.... 15 1/4 I think vs 16 1/2... HUGE difference. She should shift a little easier with those props. Though she might still be a little clunky. Invest in the new HD gear setup for the top end of the drive...

Woodsy Von Outboard

MOP
03-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Dave I am still not settled on making the BH my final drive for the 22. If I do like how it works then will raise it 4" to the correct hieght and may spring for the gear set. If it does not work out then I am pretty sure the A drive will go on it. I stopped the A drive project due to it being to costly and time consuming at this time. I have all the pieces for the conversion, I decided not to put the BH at the right hiegth because I did not want to do the transom rebuild twice. I have spoken with my prop guy, he feels that the way I run which is more of a cruiser that with a decent polish and tune the props should work Ok, he feels the will be 3-5 miles an hour slower than the BH wheels. I will :crossfing and take it as it comes.

Woodsy
03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
MOP...

I ran the BH drive set deep, and it ran awesome, kinda like a Bravo with an IMCO shortie and NO torque steer... I am sure you will like it. Don't worry about raising it to the correct height. I could run 70 - 71mph with my setup, and I wasn't making enough revs on the motor spinning a set of 27P BH wheels. The rougher it was the faster she went... you could feel her push as she re-entered the water. Ask Digger about our run from the back of the pack to the front during the Winni Poker Run... You will definitely need to learn how to work the stix....

Not too sure I would buy the whole slower speed thing either with the B3 wheels. They are a much smaller diameter and won't be surfacing like the BH wheels were designed to do. They will also have a better slip percentage. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would still spend the $$ on the gear set... just to protect your investment in the drive...

Woodsy Von Outboard...