PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Vent Line Question

GEOO
03-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Several years ago I had a problem with water in gas tank. I found that the vent thru-hull was turned the wrong way and was sucking in water.

Well, that was fixed for several years. Last year I installed one of those cool flush vent thru hulls. I anchored one day in 3 foot waves with the bow splashing in the water for a few hours, I also ran in big waves at 1000 Island's, or maybe picked up bad fuel. but I ended up with water in the tank.

My though was to put a Fuel Filter Water seperator in the vent line. The outboard type with a see though plastic bowl. I could see and trap water. What do you think?
It should flow enough air. :idea:

Eugene Nahemow
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I believe I saw something like this at West Marine.
It looked like a backflow preventer for the vent line.

MOP
03-15-2004, 05:41 PM
George did you make sure you had a high loop, fuel vents must installed a bit lower than some would think to allow the hose to be brought up to gunnel height then down to the vent. It should have to come down about 8 inches, then they very rarely ingest water.

Phil

GEOO
03-15-2004, 09:32 PM
MOP,
It's hard to have a high loop with a low deck...
Yah, I have one but not high enough.

Rootsy
03-15-2004, 10:11 PM
1.33 gear, 30" pitch, 7000 rpm's, 12 % slip ???

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :beer:

MOP
03-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Yee Haa! :toiletpap :checkered

GEOO
03-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks Scott,
I looked at that filter, that may work. I need to get one and play with it.
But I also like the idea of having a sump/clear bowl to see is water gets in. Hum... :cistineb:

MOP
03-18-2004, 11:17 AM
George you could experiment with a plastic container with a tight top, put a couple of plastic through hulls in it to attach hoses. If mounted low it would have to get a lot of water in it to be able to get up to the tank.

Phil

GEOO
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
:bonk: You scare me sometimes. :shocking:

Thanks. That what I was thinking with a water sep, filter

MOP
03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
In thinking about our conversation no matter what is in line it will either be full of gas or water, another idea. What about running the vent line forward and high this may be enough to allow it to drain and function as normal. Hey the hole is empty right now I know you know how to wiggle in there!

GEOO
03-18-2004, 08:19 PM
I checked out a few water/sep filters. Racors have check valves!! That would not work too well. I have my old Prestolight (sp) filter. I'm installing -10 fittings and lines from the tank to the filter. Than filter up to the thru hull.

the Racor Lifeguard lg50 seamed like a good idea, but it has a check valve that closes at 2.5psi and doesn't open until the pressure drops. I couldn't figure out how I could have it work?

Maybe I need to put the vent in the dash!!! :cistineb:

gcarter
03-18-2004, 10:55 PM
I keep thinking there has been some industry I've worked in that had vertically mounted ball type check valves where the balls were light and would float. Such a critter would solve the fuel vent and the bilge pump questions on the board now.
Hmmmmm....
if I could just figure out where and when that was....

George

DON N.
03-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Geo. Would 2 Vents Connected On Same Side Of Boat Same Height A Couple Feet Apart Help You ? Theory Being Easiest Route Water Would Drain Or Discharge.also You Might Want To Keep A Few Ounces Of Isopropanol Or Dry Gas Handy.